Topic

Poncho vs Rain Jacket and Pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Poncho vs Rain Jacket and Pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    C. M.

@cmanco

Locale: Mid-atlantic

I've been looking at the gear lists and it seems like most everyone has a rain jacket and usually pants instead of a poncho. I am was about getting a campmor poncho that covers me and my pack, but now seeing that most everyone is using rain jackets, I'm starting to reconsider. Which do you prefer, a rain jacket or poncho?
    Thanks

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Locale: Outside

Clay, I love my poncho and have been using one since the mid 80's. They are a pain in the ass sometimes so I tend to use mine when its a bit warmer and I dont want to carry the extra weight of a jacket pants and full size tarp. I lived out of a backpack for over three years and all I had was a tarp and airplane blanket. Yhis was fine as I was in the tropics where no matter how wet I got I would never have to worry about hypothermia. If I am doing winter camping such as the cascades or baker foothills I prefer smaller tighter fitting jacket and pants, this is also the case if I am doing anything techical. In adverse weather I much prefer a full tarp to a poncho. Mine is heavy at 12 ounces but I can carry a bit less water and sneek my poncho in with my jacket and pants. It all depends on when and where you are going and for how long. Experience is also a huge factor. I say carry all three and see how it suits you. Ali

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

Yep, depends on the weather. Generally speaking I prefer jacket, windpants & pack cover when it's colder/windier (say, <45F) or when the terrain is more challenging, and a poncho when it's warmer, etc. How much I expect it to rain is usually not so much the issue. Also a good windshirt is key either way, IMO.

If you stick to temperate forested areas, I'd give a nod to the poncho/windshirt/windpants combo for nearly all conditions above freezing.

John Sixbey

@wolfeye

My preference has always been for raingear & a pack liner. Most of my hiking's been in Alaska, and it's often too windy & rainy for a poncho to help much. The majority of my hiking's been off-trail, too, where ponchos would tend to get caught on things.

I like that ponchos can can do quadruple duty as rain protection, wind breaker, pack cover, and tarp. As such, I've been tempted to buy one for summer trail hikes in fair weather places. I just wish it was easier to find tarps made of breathable materials. While they're airier than raingear, they feel like I'm wearing a garbage bag with a hood.

One thing some rain jackets can do that a poncho can't is keep you dry when paddling; some are built for this and have seals at the cuffs to keep water out.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Jacket and pants… much more suitable for adding some warmth to a clothing system.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I wore a poncho once walking around my city on the rainiest day I ever saw looking for an apartment. I was completely drenched, head to toe. They simply don't keep me dry.

I prefer pants/jacket and umbrella. The first time I ever hiked with an umbrella in the rain I wondered why everybody doesn't do it. It makes so much sense.

Unknown abc

@edude

"The first time I ever hiked with an umbrella in the rain I wondered why everybody doesn't do it. It makes so much sense."

Yeah, umbrellas are the best of breathable rain gear, but you'll be cursing if you have to hold it for hours on end!

I've never used one , and don't see any reason while in the backcountry to use one. The added weight and inconvenience doesn't justify it's use to me.

-Evan

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've gone back and forth on this for several years, but have settled on jacket and pants, but only if they are either eVent or micropore (DriDucks). The main reason is that once I get sweaty under a poncho, it is hard to dry out, particularly near the hood, neck, chest and underarms (at least with my Gatewood Cape experiences; more open ponchos may fare better, but don't protect as well). With my eVent or DriDucks jacket, however, I will certainly sweat on the uphills for sure, but on level terrain I am able to dry back out again. I feel a little safer knowing my jacket pushes the moisture out of my clothing system.

That said, a very versatile setup would be a Gatewood Cape and a DriDucks jacket instead of a windshirt. The DriDucks are only 2-4 oz heavier than a windshirt, breathable enough to act as a windshirt, and their lack of durability is mitigated by the fact that you have a poncho as additional rain protection. The DriDucks also give you something to wear while setting up your poncho or to wear around camp once the poncho is setup as a tarp. The versatility comes from the fact that you'd have both jacket and poncho, and thus could wear whichever (or both) suits the conditions. I would use this setup if I didn't find the Serenity NetTent too confining.

You can certainly do just fine with the GoLite poncho if you keep your travel speed low. But you'd still have to carry separate shelter and wouldn't have any breathable layer. I would consider an extra base layer shirt for camp if I were to use the GoLite poncho.

re: the use of umbrellas: last weekend I was hiking in 40 degree F misty weather with my eVent jacket and umbrella. I got to a large hill when it started raining. I had been pushing pretty fast and didn't want to slow down. So I did something I've never tried before; I stripped down to my baselayer (BPL merino hoody) and thin running shorts. I was amazed at how warm and dry I was able to stay under the umbrella. There's no way I would have been able to push that hard with a jacket on and not get sweat soaked. Sure, I'd eventually dry out under the eVent jacket, but it would have been much less comfortable, and I don't think anyone should intentionally get sweat-soaked in 40 degree F weather. Since I also find a sweaty back uncomfortable and dislike sunblock, I've decided to use the umbrella for hot days as well. As a result, I've decided the umbrella is a permanent item in my pack. True, it's not essential, but it opens up a lot of options.

Finally, add an umbrella to a poncho and you've also got a lot of versatility; on warm, wet stretches you can keep the poncho hood lowered for venting, and when the wind picks up, collapse the umbrella and bring up the hood; the wind will mitigate somewhat the moisture buildup.

One final word: I removed the center pole from my GoLite Chrome Dome and use my trekking pole instead. It saves weight and the longer pole lets me hold it near my waist, which is much easier to do for several hours than holding a short umbrella up.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Poncho/Tarp has been my main system for 40 years.

When weather will be bad or an extended trip, then I take a bivy too.

In really bad/cold weather then it is rain jacket and pants, and some sort of tent (single wall or double) depending on conditions.

I would say I use the poncho/tarp 95% of the time. Mostly travel in San Jacintos, San Bernadinos, and Sierras, plus southwest deserts.

IMO, there is no universal system. All my gear (clothes, pack, shelter, sleep, cooking, etc.) changes depending on the trip).

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

It's a poncho for me, but I do think that the conditions and activities will determine whether that's best for the situation. I hike on maintained trails in heavily forested areas of the east, seldom exposed to wind but fighting against high humidity. I find it hard to beat the breathability plus it's a built-in pack cover.

I do switch to a rain jacket when cross country skiing or snowshoeing (in rough terrain) so I can see my feet.

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Locale: Midwest

Clay,

A poncho can be a great option when temps won't drop below 45F and you are strictly on trail.

Obviously there are a lot of ways to do this right. My rig is a separate tarp (MLD Patrol, ~ 8 oz) and poncho (Integral Designs Rain Cape ~ 5.5 oz). This combo is light enough for me. The smaller poncho offers good coverage for my upper body and just covers my pack, is airy enough with not too much slop like larger ponchos. Plus you still have solid rain protection if you need to leave your shelter.

I never wear rain pants at 45F and above but have dry long johns woolies for sleeping. You need to decide if you can tolerate wet pants; some people really hate it.

Good luck.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I agree with Paul and use almost the same setup. An ID Silcoat Cape (which I have found to work better than a poncho) and an MLD Grace Solo tarp (Spectralite). Most ponchos are, in reality, too small to use as tarps… the MLD Pro Poncho is an exception. I, too, like having a separate piece of gear for rain. I usually go with shorts in the rain and have been fine down to between 40 and 45F.

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

i think it depends on the type of hiking you do. if you stick to well traveled trails in moderate weather, a poncho may work for you. but in more adverse conditions you might consider the jacket. in the cold, the jacket and pants can add to your clothing system. in alpine and really windy conditions the poncho may flap open too much. if you are off trail a poncho could get caught up in branches. if you may need to climb with your hands, a poncho could get in your way.

on the other hand, there is a considerable weight saving if a poncho meets your needs. you could always try one and sell it if you don't like it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have started using a tar/poncho along with a momentum wind jacket which is highly water resistant and a garbage bag rain skirt which doubles as part of the ground cloth. A lot of these people are saying it is great down to 45F which it is but it is still pretty good down to 0F if you use an insulation layer. The ground just becomes a little hard to put the stakes in though.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I've never extensively used a poncho- they just don't make sense to me for most conditions; especially if you're using it as a shelter as well. For short trips with little/no chance of storms, maybe…
    That said, I think a jacket/pants is far more versatile for many reasons:
    1. I use my rain jacket/pants as a wind shell, for extra warmth, and as mosquito protection. In really cold weather I'll sleep in them. In the summer my rain pants are the only pants I carry- if it's chilly in camp, I put them on.
    2. I can climb, run, scramble, bushwhack, etc. in a jacket and pants without getting caught on everything. The feeling of being draped in a giant blanket is really annoying to me- It flaps around in high winds, drips all over your legs, sticks to them, etc.
    3. I don't care for the idea of my rain clothes also protecting my pack from rain- what if I want to leave my pack behind for a climb? I think your gear should have it's own rain protection; I prefer trash compactor bags for pack liners.
    4. As for ventilation, I'm convinced from that if active in prolonged rain no system or fabric is leak-proof or going to "vent" enough to keep you from eventually getting soaked (from experience, I'm really skeptical anything really even "vents" in the rain anyway). Just keep hiking to stay warm and get into shelter/dry clothes as soon as you have to stop.
    5. I've rigged my jacket and pants to seal the ends of my tarp in big storms.

I can see using a poncho for shelter if no "real" weather is really expected, but as for using one in a real storm, no thank you.
    I think you'd better be real quick setting it up if you don't want to get soaked and freeze…and after it's up and you're dry and warm, what if it's pouring rain for days and you need water, gotta take a crap, etc? Now you have zero protection when going in and out of your shelter.

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Locale: Midwest

Craig,

"The feeling of being draped in a giant blanket is really annoying to me-"

Have you looked at your avatar lately?

P.S. Just an attempt at humor..hope no offense is taken.

Peace

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

You're right…Bodhidharma probably used a poncho.
    Alas, I'm far further from enlightenment than I thought!

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

>Yeah, umbrellas are the best of breathable rain gear, but you'll be cursing if you have to hold it for hours on end!

I've never used one , and don't see any reason while in the backcountry to use one. The added weight and inconvenience doesn't justify it's use to me.

When it's raining and winds are light or when the sun is very very hot, an umbrella will always be sheltering me. I use the aluminium coated one that makes a great portable shady area. It attaches to my LuxuryLite frame so I don't have to hold it. No good for off trail bushbashing though, in which case a rain jacket and hat are my preference (hat is much less hot than a fully enclosed hood).

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I am a big fan of the umbrella; I don't always carry one, but I like them if I know I'm in for persistent rain or prolonged summertime desert hiking. As long as the trail is open, carrying one for hours has never bugged me- I'll lash it to a shoulder strap if need be.
    It's really nice being able to hike with your hood off and jacket unzipped in pouring rain or stroll in perpetual shade when it's 100+ degrees.

I carried one when I did the JMT- every hiker that passed me was completely jealous when they saw it.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

The following works great for me, and allows me to use both hiking poles and an umbrella.

If my pack is filled in the right way I can lay my open Golite umbrella on top of my pack with the shaft beside my neck and coming down one shoulder and then under the sternum strap on my pack. The top of the pack keeps the umbrella off my head and the sternum strap keeps it from falling off.

Periodically I have to adjust the shaft as it slips…better would be to attach it somehow to the sternum strap so it stays put.

Jason Griffin

@jgriffinrn

I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately and have been trying to find a pair of waterproof zip off pants. This would be for spring through fall. If I could find a pair (unsuccessful so far) then I could just carry my driducks jacket only. I'd have a pair of pants, rain pants, and shorts in one. I use a pack liner rather than a cover and don't put anything not waterproof in the outside pockets, If I used a poncho I wouldn't use the liner. Anyone know of any waterproof zip off pants?

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Jason,

I'ved looked unsuccessfully for waterproof zip off's, back when I was looking to use them with a Gatewood Cape in warmer conditions to keep my shorts dry.

Is your intention to use the waterproof shorts as your main pair of shorts then? I would think you'd get uncomfortably sweaty on warmer days, even if they are just shorts. Also, if they had any kind of wicking/breathable layer, you'd have to be more careful about oil and dirt compromising the fabric.

Something else you might consider is a silnylon kilt and rain chaps. Not quite as weather resistant, but more breathable if you use something like MLD's eVent chaps. But no one makes plaid-patterned silnylon! =)

For me, the real breakthrough came with the release of BPL's Thorofare pants. At 4oz, you can afford to also bring running shorts and the DriDucks pants for lighter weight than any zippered wp/b would offer. Sure, it's more total items, but I find it much quicker to throw on my pants (I use lock laces for shoe laces) than to fiddle with attaching zippers on my legs. They are also much more comfortable than my old non-stretchy zip-off nylon pants.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I just roll my thoroughfare trousers up in hot weather. It's quick to deploy without touching shoes, and is quick to deploy against insects at rest stops. Don't bother with shorts or rainpants at all. I think zips around my leg half way down would drive me nuts!

Keeping my legs dry just doesn't seem to be a big need for me :)

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

i agree with the legs. i just use my jacket and gaiters to keep my feet dry. if my thighs get wet oh well they dry quick enough.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

“just roll my thoroughfare trousers up in hot weather.”

That is a cool idea :)!. How do you keep the pants from unrolling during heavy walking? I would like to roll the pants above the knee. Does the bunched-up material strangle the blood supply?

Thanks,
    -Barry

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools