Topic

Osprey Exos Excess??

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
PostedFeb 15, 2009 at 3:06 pm

I was fondling and Exos 58 this weekend, and thought I’d share my opinions. To quote from Will’s review here at BPL “I didn't have much use for the sleeping pad straps on the bottom of the pack, and they catch on branches while bushwhacking (Osprey says they can easily be cut off.).”

And the rest….I *wish* pack manufacturers would think a little more laterally and realise that you don’t have to have every strap someone might ever need permanently affixed to a pack. The Exos has soooo many straps that it made my skin crawl. And all of them could have easily been made removable, so you choose just what you need for each trip. In the case of the Exos, it would be only winter trips that I would need the side ‘compression” straps, the tool holders virtually never, and the stow-on-the-go pole attachment never. But that’s just me, and I’m sure there are many people who would thrive on having so many straps available (they probably don’t do much of trail bush-bashing).

Then there’s the mesh-why mesh?. Again, totally unsuitable for off trail use as it would snap on every little twig, branch or bramble. Simple nylon would have been just as light, and more waterproof too.

And then there’s the pockets. The Osprey Aether was a nice design, pocket wise, though I appreciate the addition of hip pockets (if they weren’t mesh). But those outside zippered pockets are something I can’t find a use for. How many things do I need quick access to that wouldn’t fit in the kango pouch, top pocket, hipbelt pockets or side pockets?? And then there’s the mystery zipper on the inside, just above the hydration sleeve. What the heck is THAT for???

Even the drawcord seems excessive for what it’s meant to do. Why not use some aircore spectra instead? Why is the waist buckle so flimsy? I understand and appreciate most of the buckles do not need to be heavy duty, but the waist buckle is under a lot of stress. The sternum strap buckle is more robust than the waist buckle!
I imagine I could shave several hundred grams off this pack and not miss a thing. But I probably wouldn’t bother because the pack as a whole doesn’t appear very robust. Time will tell, and the fiddle factor of trying to replace the mesh is just not worth it. Shame really, as the basic design is great. Nice and light and well ventilated, large volume pack that seems like it would ride well on the hips.

Apologies to those that own and love this pack. It’s just not MY cuppa tea.

PostedFeb 15, 2009 at 5:14 pm

I forgot about the top pocket: It is removable (don't know why it needs three straps to hold it on), but if you do remove it, you are left with the two mating straps on the bottom of the pack with nowehre to go. They just dangle there. I suppose you could shove them into those funny outside zippered pockets???

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Loading...