Topic

Need help with Philmont Gear list.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Need help with Philmont Gear list.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Noah Kirschbaum

@kirschdude

Locale: Iowa

Well….
    I havent posted in a while, and now I have a reason to.

I am going to Philmont in the summer of 2010 and I figured I need to start buying gear considering I have absolutely nothing. I was looking for a lightweight solution to it.

I was talking to my crew leader today about some of the things I need and dont need to get.

A couple things to consider,

-I will be 15 when I go (Im not an adult in other words)

-I would like to get a sleeping bag that can be compressed like crazy

-I am not yet worrying about a tent

-I dont need any sort of water treatment at the moment

-I dont need a stove of any kind

-I want to have as little personal gear as possible

Some of the things I am looking for are…

-A pack
    -sleeping bag
    -sleeping pad
    -clothes
    -and whatever else is needed

Anything is appreciated. I just woke up so I am sure there are many errors to this post.

Thanks,

-Noah Kirschbaum-

Noah Kirschbaum

@kirschdude

Locale: Iowa

Another thing I forgot to mention is being a kid I do not have much money. In other words Try to keep cost in mind when you reply.

Thanks again,

_Noah Kirschbaum-

Unknown abc

@edude

Hi, Noah. I am a 13y/o Boy Scout and I know just how you feel! I'm out of work right now cause' of all the snow.
    Anyway, you've come to the right place.

>"-sleeping pad"

I'll answer this one for you, and let some more experienced people like Roger and Franco answer the more broad things like sleeping bag and pack.

If you're going to be at Philmont for a week or more, and you don't have much money, closed cell foam pads will be your best choice.

You could but a cheapie at Wal-Mart and Kmart, or invest in a nicer one by ThermaRest:

http://www.thermarest.com/product_detail.aspx?pID=49&cID=2

This pad (and any other CCF pad) you can cut to size to save weight and space.

On clothing, I have gone at Easton for a week and only changed my pants twice. I brought ONE extra pair of nylon pants (I do not recommend zip-offs for hiking) and aired one while I wore the other. Nylon is incredibly good at keeping you cool, and it doesn't smell too bad.

You're grammar and spelling is pretty good, actually.

-Evan

Joe Westing

@pedro87

I second Evan's suggestion for a CCF pad. However, I would personally recommend one of the Gossamer Gear Nightlight sleeping pads (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/xdpy/s/Sleeping/index.html). They are made from Evazote which I believe is the most thermally efficient type of foam. Not quite as cheap as one from Walmart but still reasonably priced. Another thing to note is that this pad is very comfortable for me when it is new but it slowly gets compressed over time. If you are buying this mainly for Philmont, then I wouldn't worry about it. Also, you are likely not as heavy as a full-grown adult so compression shouldn't be as much of an issue.

When I went to Philmont, I carried one pair of shorts, 1 pair of zip-off pants, and 1 pair of Capilene long underwear (for sleeping). I believe that even this was excessive and if I went to Philmont again I would take the 1 pair of zip-offs and the 1 pair of long underwear (Philmont requires a dedicated pair of sleeping clothing). I chose zip-offs for two reasons. First, I just really like wearing shorts and I find them more comfortable than pants. Second, at Philmont in the early morning it can be very chilly so pants are welcome, while later in the day it can get fairly hot and shorts make it more comfortable. Some people complain that the zipper on zip-offs can cause some sort of chafing or irritation but I have never had this problem. I have had good luck with the REI Sahara Convertible Pants.

The pack really depends on how much weight you will be packing, so many suggest that you buy it last. I would recommend checking out Gossamer Gear and ULA-Equipment for reasonably priced lightweight packs.

If you have not read this BPL article it is a MUST:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/boy_scout_gear_list_philmont.html

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

You're grammer and spelling is pretty good, actually.

Better than Evan's anyway! ;-)

(grammar, not grammer!)

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Unknown abc

@edude

LOL, Ashley!

wow, I'm going to edit that right now, you've had your fun.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools