Topic

Help choosing a new rainjacket

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
PostedFeb 14, 2009 at 1:15 am

Hello all –

I am currently looking for a replacement for my old TNF Hyvent Jacket. I hike most of the time in the Pacific Northwest, and thus have spent trips where a rainjacket was worn for days at a time.

I am about 5-9, 185 pounds. I have spent the past several days reading on this site about the merits of paclite vs. eVent, hi-tech vs. low-cost.

What are people using out there? What do they like? What do they dislike? What is light?

Thanks for your help!

Dirk

PostedFeb 14, 2009 at 4:38 am

I am just curious – why are you replacing the Hyvent jacket? Is it the DIAD?

Concerning your question, I use the Integral Designs Event jacket, and love it. I finally managed to get dry while wearing a rain jacket for the first time ever due to the exceptional breathability of Event. I have lately been hiking through some very thick and thorny underbrush in the rain and my jacket has held up very well, the construction seems very durable.

PostedFeb 14, 2009 at 9:44 am

I use a Cabela's Ultrapack rain pullover. It weighs 8 oz, and I'm pleased with it. It has no bells & whistles, just an adjustable hood & drawstring waist. The front zip only goes about halfway down. It probably isn't quite as breatheable as Event, but it breathes enough for me to use as a wind jacket on chilly days. The top & bottom have been through about two weeks' worth of off-trail hiking with only one tiny rip to show for it, which is pretty good for such light raingear.

The only problem is that they're camouflaged. Their conifer pattern looks less like camo and more like an artsy print, though.

PostedFeb 14, 2009 at 11:51 pm

Johann –

I've read that comment often. Which eVent jacket do you use hiking? The Integral Designs get good reviews for the most part. I wish there were a greater selection of basic, no-frills eVent jackets out there, but at this time, the selection in the U.S. is fairly limited.

Dirk

PostedFeb 14, 2009 at 11:54 pm

Andrew –

I think that HyVent does a pretty adequate job and I do believe that it's better than many jackets. I am just probably never fully satisfied, and would like a jacket that breathed better. I haven't tried eVent, I have used paclite with some success. The DIAD is appealing, although it appears discontinued by TNF. I wonder why, does anyone have an explanation? Or am I mistaken?

Dirk

PostedFeb 15, 2009 at 12:13 am

John –

I like the pullover and agree, the camo is a downside. I would rather be positively identified by all potential hunters here in Washington State. I find most hunters in the backcountry to be very responsible, but I rather provide them with clear indication that I am in the area.

The PacLite offerings by Cabelas are fairly inexpensive and good. I bought one of their jackets for $48 on sale a few years ago and use it around town. So far, I have had no qualms with it, just wish it were a bit lighter, but it's pretty nice.

Thanks for the suggestion, if they only made this model in base colors it would be much more tempting!

Dirk

PostedFeb 15, 2009 at 12:14 am

I found it quite interesting. This jacket will be on my short list. Finding places even in Seattle that carry a good selection is a bit of a trick, but I will find a place!

Thanks for the comprehensive review, it really helps!

Dirk

Jed Augustine BPL Member
PostedFeb 15, 2009 at 12:38 am

I got the Montbell Peak Shell for $90 on eBay about a year ago, so check that avenue. It may not be 1st tier eVent quality (though I suspect it is close), at that kind of price it is more than worth it.

PostedFeb 15, 2009 at 2:10 am

The Montbell Peak Shell has been discontinued and has been replaced with the Outpace Parka (which is lighter, but doesn't have pit zips, and is more expensive).

PostedFeb 15, 2009 at 7:11 am

Ashley –

I just checked the Montbell US website and the Peak Shell was still listed. Maybe they just haven't got around to taking it off the site? If it is in fact discontinued, that would be shame because it seemed to have the perfect balance of weight, features, and price. Some of the main draws of the Peak Shell over an eVent jacket such the ID eVent jacket were the pit zips and lower price of the Peak Shell. Sometimes I feel like gear companies just have no clue.

Richard Lyon BPL Member
PostedFeb 15, 2009 at 8:45 am

Dirk, You should look into Wild Things as someone else suggested. Very high quality and great athletic fit. I have WT's eVENT bibs for skiing and ski touring and love them. Also consider Westcomb, an Arc'Teryz spinoff in Vancouver that makes lightweight gear. I got my Mirage eVENT shell from backcountry.com, and it's a cut-down version of Westcomb's, with no pit zips or powder skirt. I think Westcomb makes even lighter shells of eVENT too. http://www.westcomb.com

Jeff Jeff BPL Member
PostedFeb 15, 2009 at 9:46 am

Pro Mountain Sports in the U carried Montbell, but their selection is super small. I prefer Prolite Gear for this reason (online, not the store).

The Peakshell is a top notch shell, but I think it is being replaced. IMO, it is better than eVent because it has pit zips for dumbing heat, even though the breathability is just slightly lower.

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedFeb 15, 2009 at 9:48 am

My list of hiking stores in Seattle:

REI (of course)

Feathered Friends (across the street from REI)

Outdoor Research factory store– 1st Ave So, near Safeco Field.

Second Ascent– in Ballard, new and used gear. Takes trades too. My favorite.

Outdoor and More– check out the upstairs and back room for deals. Not too far from REI on WestLake Ave.

Pro Mountain Sports on University Ave. — best selection of true UL gear.

Patagonia — 1st Ave near the Pike Place Market

Federal Army Navy Surplus (down the block from Patagonia)

Marmont Mountain Works (Bellevue)

Outdoor Emporium– more fishing and hunting, but has a lot of rain gear and DriDucks– near Outdoor Research on 4th Ave So.

North Face– downtown on 1st Ave, University Village too

GI Joes— chain store. More fishing and hunting, but does carry some Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, North Face, and many accessories. LOTS of shoes.

Big 5 — chain store, cheap accessories, often has sunglasses, watches, LED lights, knives, and shoes on sale.

PostedFeb 15, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Dirk,
IMO, it's pretty hard to improve on the ID EVENT jacket for a basic, no-frills jacket. Jim Nelson carries them over at Promountain Sports in the U District, if you haven't already figured that one out. You can try it on there and then order it online if you want to save a few bucks. If you do go that route, keep you eye on Prolitegear.com. They have a sale every so often and you can get one on the cheap. I've been delighted with mine over the last 3 years.

J B BPL Member
PostedFeb 16, 2009 at 1:56 am

Johann –

I’ve read that comment often. Which eVent jacket do you use hiking?

I have two Montane Quickfire jackets in M. Very basic. Review. I thought they were discontinued but now they’re back at Montane’s website?

I’m wearing it in these videos: Zischgeles and Große Arnspitze.

Anyway, I think some UK companies still have some left. If you need a better review, let me know.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Loading...