Well after the last two years where I have been trying to find a footwear system that works for people with big feet I gave up and went back to what I was using, sandals. These paired with two pairs of liners socks, one pair of wool hiking socks and some waterproof liners like bread bags or waterproof socks has let me do just about whatever I wanted to down to 5-10F. I have been using my Chacos and even though they are not light, they were resoled about 4 years ago with the really thick, heavy soles and I have not been happier. I know they are heavy but I can wear them for anything I do and have even used them with my Kahtoola Microspikes. No finding a shoe that fits just right and then having to find a size 15 to wear with thicker socks. I really can't run in them but then again I really never run. And I can get so much life out of these new soles whereas it seems most trail runners fall apart pretty fast. Safe as houses.
Topic
My footwear solution for people with big feet
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
That's interesting. I have trouble finding good shoes because I have size 10 EEEE feet. I'd think that rocks would find their way in to sandals…? I might try it the next time I go for a day trip to see if my feet get cramped.
Hi John
I was very pleased to find that New Balance actually make shoes with a genuine EEEE fitting.
All Australians have duck feet…
Cheers
Yeah, NB does make 4E widths as I am sitting at 2E in a size 14 and have tried to make the 4Es work when I couldn't find the 2Es.
But as for rocks, around here it is usually dirt unless someone has laid gravel down, which is rare, or it is paved. I would say that I might get a pebble every few hours but I adapted the way I walk a little to really stop any pebbles and the ones that I do get are easily remedied by flicking my foot as I bring it up from a step.
I think Joe who does the Zpacks wore sandals when he did the PCT. They are just so much more versatile.
And your feet might get a bit cramped because I know Chacos have a very hard arch support and it might build it up for you.
Become a member to post in the forums.

