Topic

OK to layer windproof materials?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion OK to layer windproof materials?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David Spencer

@spencerde

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

Hi all,

Doing the Circuit in Patagonia in about a month. From what I've read, about the only thing constant there is the wind. I know I need to dress in layers to deal with the constantly changing weather. I would like to have something windproof to wear at all temperature levels. So, is it a bad idea to layer a windshirt (Marmot ION), a TNF Windwall fleece, and an eVent rain jacket? I know these are all supposed to be breathable but is the combination going to be a bad idea? I'd appreciate your thoughts.
    TIA,
    Dave

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

No problems, but I suspect the windshirt is going to be a bit redundant.

Cheers

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

David Spencer

@spencerde

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

Yeah, my concern is that the combination of these "breathable" materials may no longer be breathable. I would hope I don't need all these layers at once very often but when it's really cold I forsee wearing everything I have with me. If it increases insulation beyond the some of the components, so much the better. I may decide to leave the windshirt at home though. I will also have a MicroPuff vest for an insulation layer.

James Moughan

@jamougha

It helps a lot if the lower layers have good venting options, especially a two-way zip.

A lot of people like to wear their windshirts under their rainproofs. The condensation forms on the rainproof and gets trapped in the gap between it and the windshirt.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools