Topic

Mega Caldera

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mega Caldera

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Hi, all-
    We recently had a thread going about larger-capacity wood burners. I wanted to let everyone know I just took delivery of a Caldera Cone for my MSR 2 Liter pot. Woo-hoo! I'm at my home away from home right now; pics and such to follow early next week, then use it on a trip with the gal next weekend. Since I'll only take this when going with another person, I have no qualms about them carrying some extra fuel ;P and it should work out great for me. If you wanted the wood-burning option, I'm sure Rand could accomodate you. Cheers-
    Brad

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

If that's the Ti-Tri Caldera, then I think you will find it works great as a wood burner. I have been using one since just before Xmas and it's my absolute favourite. I've even used it with a solo pot, it's not that heavy for one person to carry.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

The Ti-Tri is the titanium version of the Caldera Cone. Attempting to burn wood in the aluminum Caldera Cone will not yield the same results. Aluminum's lower melting point will not hold up to the Ti-Tri's abilities. The Caldera Cone should be left to alcohol and Esbit-type solid fuels.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Yes, that's correct. I'm just not sure if Brad is talking about the standard Caldera or the Ti-Tri???

jim jessop

@luckyjim

OP Brad said 'If you wanted the wood-burning option, I'm sure Rand could accomodate you.'

Think this implies Brad had the regular Caldera made up for his 2l pot for use with alcohol, but – if you or someone else wanted one, he thinks Rand could make up a wood burning version – which would be the ti version…… no?

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Right, gotcha. I obviously have the Ti version and can highly recommend it for wood burning. In side-by-side trial with a BushBuddy, there was no difference in boil times using a 2 L pot, and the Cone offered superior stability and wind resistance. Lighter too. Have to be careful of burn scars with the cone though.

Rand Lindsly
    BPL Member

@randlindsly

Locale: Yosemite

For clarity….Brad is a multi-Ti-Tri purchaser, so I think he knows the difference. Along with his last Ti-Tri, we also did a first article MSR 2L aluminum cone. It's a big mutha…..required some creative tooling to get it cut!

Rand :-)

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Hey, all-
    Been away from the computer a bit. Rand, this thing is great! Thank you!!! We're headed out this weekend for the first real use. FWIW, I did some test burns at home this weekend using 75% Everclear. My 12-10 stove was at my other residence so I used a Featherfire XL (Sorry!). The cool thing is, I can boil a pint on 11ml of fuel–3/8 (.375) of an ounce. Yes, it's with cold tap water and room temp air, but… nice! I really appreciate your getting this out, and so soon, Rand. Anyone looking for a big mutha alky, this is the schizzle (did I just say that?!). If you wanna burn wood, I'm bettin' the Ti version couldn't be beat.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

I just subjected the 2L Caldera to 0*F to 20*F tests with slushy water and two-person quantities of water… still pretty impressive. I boiled about 2.5 pints on roughly 50ml of fuel. Not for the impatient! But it worked great, and given those conditions even my white gas stove seemed to take forever (and a year) to boil. Pics show a gallon water jug and a Snowpeak Ti French press for size reference.

mega caldera

mega caldera 2

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools