Topic

Just got my new gear

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
PostedFeb 13, 2009 at 8:15 am

I just got the final piece of my latest shipment of gear. Here's what I got:

ULA Conduit
Tarptent Contrail
#1 Nite Ize S-Biners (5)
Rite in the Rain Mini Notebook
Fisher Space Pen
Round Box storage containers
(last 4 items are from here at the BPL store)

I am so pumped about my trip I'm going on next weekend (feb 21-22). We're doing a pretty easy trail here in Arkansas, but it will be a great chance to test the new gear. The pack is very feature rich for its weight (IMHO). And I really like the water bottle holders on the shoulder straps (an added option). I ordered two but removed one and will keep it at home as a back up. The hipbelt pockets are also very nice (another option). Some of the other features that I alredy like (again no trail use so far) are the three way mesh pockets (front pocket is perfect for at tarp or my new contrail among other things) and the elastic pad straps on the inside. It makes the pad into a great back pad/support.

The Contrail also far exceeded my expectations. It is SO easy to set up. The only thing I can't seem to get right are the sides. I cannot get the spacing the same on each side. The mesh seems like it is suppose to run parallel to the ground and connect the bathtub floor to the overhead canopy. However, the floor always seems to be off to one side. I'll have the mesh pulled tight on one side, but bunched up on the other. If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong, let me know.

Lastly, the Nite Ize S Biners are awesome! They're really strong for their size. These things are so small (think height of a quarter and width of a sharpie marker cap). I am looking forward to testing how much weight they will hold. The pen and notebook have not gotten much "testing" yet, but they will soon. I plan on seeing if the pen really will write under water.

Anyway, thats it, just excited about my new gear. Any tips on any of these gear pieces would be interesting/helpful. Thanks!

Jamie Shortt BPL Member
PostedFeb 14, 2009 at 4:28 am

Kyle, I know the feeling! It is a blast to find your pieces have them arrive and most of all get out and see how they perform. I'm usually hoping for bad weather just so I can see how well the gear works…enjoy Feb 21-22.

As to other pieces… what are you using for a sleeping bag, stove, rain gear, and insulating garment? These are fun ones to explore.

Jamie

Tony Beasley BPL Member
PostedFeb 14, 2009 at 11:00 am

Hi Kyle,

>Setup issues with your contrail… Franco is your man!

Yes I have to agree with Ashley, Franco is the Contrail expert.

The Contrail takes a bit of practice to get the setup right, it is a great little tent and I love it.

Tony

PostedFeb 14, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Funny that, I thought Henry was the expert with the Contrail.
Now I will have to set it up to see if I can replicate Kyle's problem.
A picture of the interior and one from above of the outside would help. (stand on a chair)
In the meantime I would check the tensioning cord that runs from the front corner to the bottom tip of the fly , one could be shorter than the other.
Franco

PostedFeb 14, 2009 at 4:24 pm

OK Kyle, not sure if this will help but …
First let all of the guyline/tensioning lines out to the max distance (so that they are even)
Next fasten the door so that when you guy out the front area the front panel will be flat, that indicates that you have the correct set-up.
Note the position of the guy out points, at about 45 degree from the front/rear line.
The second picture show what the floor should look like ( it would be flatter and down to the ground if I had the pole a bit lower, but that is my standard height)
The third picture shows one of the front tensioning lines pulled in causing the fly panel on that side to move closer to the floor, possibly your problem.
Franco
Contrail 1
Contrail 2
Contrail 3

twig . BPL Member
PostedFeb 14, 2009 at 4:50 pm

A sure sign your floor is pulled tight in one direction is the creases in the floor, they will point towards the guyline that needs loosening.
As Franco said, zip up the door panel and try and get it flat across it's width, the pegs need to be out quite wide for this.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...