Topic

Toothpaste

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
PostedFeb 12, 2009 at 8:46 pm

What do you do for toothpaste? I remember getting a super small tube at a hotel once. Darned if I can remember where though.

PostedFeb 12, 2009 at 8:55 pm

about 1 tsp. Baking Soda for trips longer than than 4-5 nights, shorter than that, you don't need it.

te – wa BPL Member
PostedFeb 12, 2009 at 9:21 pm

an active ingredient in mouthwash: chlorine dioxide
an active ingredient in some toothpaste: chlorine dioxide
an active ingredient in Aquamira: chlorine dioxide

take if from there :)

PostedFeb 12, 2009 at 9:32 pm

I like taking an Oral B Brush-up with a piece of floss for each day (a toothbrush isn't needed). For two nights, this weighs about 3 grams.

Craig

Jay Wilkerson BPL Member
PostedFeb 12, 2009 at 10:08 pm

I use Eco-Dent Tooth Powder…sold at most health stores. Very easy to pack and has all natural ingredients!!!

PostedFeb 12, 2009 at 10:29 pm

PLease dont say baking soda. I never really thought about it, but whats it made from? Ali

PostedFeb 12, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Sodium bicarbonate or sodium hydrogen carbonate is the chemical compound with the formula NaHCO3. Sodium bicarbonate is a white solid that is crystalline but often appears as a fine powder. It has a slight alkaline taste resembling that of washing soda (sodium carbonate). It is a component of the mineral natron and is found dissolved in many mineral springs. The natural mineral form is known as nahcolite. It is also produced artificially.

Since it has long been known and is widely used, the salt has many related names such as baking soda, bread soda, cooking soda, bicarbonate of soda. Colloquially, its name is shortened to sodium bicarb or bicarb soda. The word saleratus, from Latin sal æratus meaning "aerated salt", was widely used in the 19th century for both sodium bicarbonate and potassium bicarbonate. The term has now fallen out of common usage. Ali

Tony Wong BPL Member
PostedFeb 12, 2009 at 10:44 pm

I have been using a mixture of 2/3 Baking Soda & 1/3 Salt.

I keep it in a small ziplock baggie.

Initially, this was a really nasty tasting combo, but after a few trips I am used to is and my 6 yr old daughter is used to it to.

Nice thing is that you don't have to rinse your mouth out.

Technically, it could have dual usage….upset stomach.

The salt helps will killing bacteria.

1 oz of this mix is probably enough for 1 week or more.

-Tony

PostedFeb 12, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Put it in a straw. Fold the ends of the straw over and then slide a small section of straw tube over the top of each fold to hold it in place.

PostedFeb 12, 2009 at 11:15 pm

I use tooth powder I picked up in a drugstore. I'd tell you the brand, but apparently I put it someplace "special" and can't find it.

I tried homemade powder using baking soda, and this stuff tastes a lot better.

PostedFeb 13, 2009 at 12:44 am

Baking soda. Usually in a film container (a relic from the last century) because I also use it as a deodoriser and to wash myself with.
And as above, I don't spit it out because a little bit is good for the stomach.
Franco

PostedFeb 13, 2009 at 7:50 am

I use travel size and when it's empty I squeeze a little from a full-size container into the travel size container. Just a little.

Hiking the PCT last summer to Mt. Shasta I only ever did this once and I think I replaced the travel size once. I didn't brush every day, especially when water was scarce.

victoria maki BPL Member
PostedFeb 13, 2009 at 8:49 am

Whoops. Posted on the wrong forum. To people who want to use baking soda but can't stand the taste. They have powdered tooth powder at the health nut store. Either mint of cinnamon flavor. Much better tasting than b.s.

Klas Eklof BPL Member
PostedFeb 13, 2009 at 1:06 pm

I tried a few DIY powder recipes but was never satisfied. A friend turned me on to a commercial british product named Eucryl Toothpowder:

http://www.eucryl.co.uk/

It is fantastic. NFI.

– Klas

PostedFeb 13, 2009 at 4:52 pm

I carry a travel tube of my favorite type (no dyes added). I find it at nearly any drugstore for $1 or so in the travel mini section. Most companies make minis. You can also find most of them at Minimus.biz as well.

I also carry a full toothbrush (gasp!) and floss.

My teeth deserve good stuff ;-)

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedFeb 15, 2009 at 10:46 am

http://www.minimus.biz/ is the place. Get the little hotel freebie style sewing kits while you're at it.

I load the gel style toothpaste into a small vial with a wide top. It is easier to get in and out. A syringe with no needle helps.

There are powdered toothpaste products out there. I'll bet a health food type store would have more choices. In the past, powders were the rule rather than the exception.

IMHO, Dr Bronners is an excellent soap– I use it every day, but it is TERRIBLE for toothpaste. PTOOI!

PostedFeb 15, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Hi John, On short trips I like any of my favorite travel size tooth past, usually 1/2 mt anyway , so its pretty light(1/2oz)or so. But for a longer trip I like to carry a small amount of salt. I use it for brushing, mouth wash ect., and its good for an emergency electrolite. I think just brushing and flossing with nothing is better than not.And thats pretty light.

Mina Loomis BPL Member
PostedFeb 15, 2009 at 9:12 pm

I was brought up on tooth powder, first on some stuff called "pycopay" that my grandparents always used. This was in the 1950's. Later we just mixed half and half baking soda and salt. My husband, and therefore of course my 3 (now grown) kids, all use toothpaste. Then about 20 years ago I found some information (now I forget what) that suggested the only benefit of toothpaste is the fluoride, and since we have fluoride in our municipal water it's superfluous. That the flavor of toothpaste gets more people to brush their teeth, but that's about it. Since I never liked the stuff, nor did I like the tooth powder, I just started brushing my teeth with a wet toothbrush and rinsing well. Plus plain floss or those interdental brushes. After 20 years of this my teeth are no worse or better than the teeth of all the family members who use toothpaste.

I think you can all dispense with toothpaste or powder on backpacking trips, and just use a small toothbrush and maybe a travel size interdental brush or a few strands of floss. Which can also be used to repair gear.

PostedFeb 15, 2009 at 10:32 pm

I bring a brush but no paste, powder, or other stuff.
I just wet the brush and do my thing, rinsing a few times in the process…it works for me; simple.

PostedFeb 16, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Dr. Bronners concentrated liquid soap in the peppermint… uh, 'flavor'.

Package it in a BPL mini dropper bottle. 2 drops per brush.

Foams up just like normal toothpaste, tastes about the same. I rinse real well afterwards to avoid a very occasional, very minor soap aftertaste. No ill-effects so far.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
Loading...