Topic

Golite Shangri-La 3 interior room

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
PostedFeb 11, 2009 at 9:03 pm

I'm looking at the Shangri-La 3 for my girlfriend and I. Here's the thing..my girlfriend is so afraid of the dark it's a bit of a problem. I had to buy 2 of the same bags so we could zip them together so she could feel secure. Is there enough room in the shangri-la for the 2 of us to sleep on one side of the support pole? If anybody has interior pics, that would be great.

Joe Clement BPL Member
PostedFeb 11, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Just move the pole to one side, it doesn't have to be dead center in the middle. Then find a therapist for the GF. Drama can be cured in your lifetime….

PostedFeb 12, 2009 at 7:03 am

Thank you. I was hoping it would be large enough. It will also be nice to have a somewhat lightweight shelter with such room. The fear of the dark is really absurd. I have turned the basement light off and held the door shut on her…she started crying. Last time I ever did that. Thanks again!

Brad Groves BPL Member
PostedFeb 12, 2009 at 7:11 am

To maximize comfort/available space in a 'mid, I'd at least consider one with a rectangular floor plan–ie MLD, Oware, BD. I comfortably fit my girlfriend and I on one side of the pole, neither of us brushing against sides or ends… There's a pic somewhere here on a thread about dogs, shows mine next to me in a Garuda/Dana mid, plenty of space. Rod Lawlor's avatar shows his family in a BD mid… the Golite 3 I had seemed too tight for my tastes to sleep like you're talking about. YMMV.

Joe Clement BPL Member
PostedFeb 12, 2009 at 7:15 am

> The fear of the dark is really absurd. I have turned the basement light off and held the door shut on her…she started crying.

Ouch, not making a lot of points there. That might not be the best approach. Unless you're wanting to break up.

Rog Tallbloke BPL Member
PostedFeb 12, 2009 at 7:26 am

Here's a pic showing the bug tent we made for ours.

Hex 3 bugtent.

The pole is slightly angled, but only about 4" off centre.
You can just ake out the two thermarests. Mine's a standard, Kath's is a short, because she's a shorty. :-)

Room for two on one side of the pole if one of you is under 5'6" I'd say

PostedFeb 12, 2009 at 10:25 am

> The fear of the dark is really absurd. I have turned the basement light off and held the door shut on her…she started crying.

Not such a mean approach as it first seems (although your girlfriend should have had the power to open the door). This is a valid therapeutic approach known as 'flooding' and used to great effect especially with phobias. A less extreme version is gradual de-sensitisation used in behavioural therapeutic approaches. The phobic might start with 10 seconds in the dark, then 20, and so on until eventually through rationalisation the dark does not hold any fear anymore. Once that is achieved the centre pole is not an issue!

You could suspend the Shangri-la rather than supporting it and then you would have all the floor space you need. Failing that pitch the pole to one side as suggested above. You cannot really comfortably sleep 2 people side by side on one side of the pole if centrally placed. Not unless you are both tiny but even then….

Good luck!

PostedFeb 12, 2009 at 10:55 am

Uh, have you considered a night-light? You should get by on one AAA per night, and you can make her carry them…

Although thinking for a second that probably only works if you're carrying the nest.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...