Topic

Jetboil recall

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Worth Donaldson
    BPL Member

@worth

NEWS from CPSC
    U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
    Office of Information and Public Affairs
    Washington, DC 20207

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    February 11, 2009
    Release #09-126

Firm's Recall Hotline: (888) 611-9905
    CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
    CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

Outdoor Stoves Recalled by Jetboil Due to Burn Hazard

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Personal Cooking Systems and Group Cooking Systems

Units: About 15,000

Manufacturer: Jetboil Inc., of Manchester, N.H.

Hazard: A tight valve attached to the stove's fuel source can allow gas to leak, posing a fire hazard to consumers.

Incidents/Injuries: Jetboil has received five reports of fires resulting from leaking fuel. No injuries have been reported.

Description: This recall involves personal and group cooking stoves often used during outdoor camping. The recalled models include: Personal Cooking Systems in black (PBL075-BLK-(PCS) and camo (PBL075-CAMO-(PCS), Backcountry Gourmet Set (BDLFRY), Personal Cooking System with Companion Cup (BDL001), Personal Cooking System with Pot Support & Stabilizer (BDL002), Personal Cooking System with Coffee Press (BDL003), and Personal Cooking System Java Kit (BDLJAVA) and Group Cooking System (GCS150).

Sold at: Specialty outdoor and general sporting goods stores nationwide and on the Internet from July 2008 through November 2008 for between $100 and $130.

Manufactured in: United States

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled product and contact Jetboil for a repair or replacement.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Jetboil toll-free at (866) 611-9905 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm's Web site at http://www.jetboil.com. Consumers can also email the firm at [email protected]

To see this recall on CPSC's web site, including pictures of the recall product, please go to: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09126.html

justin velo
    BPL Member

@jetboiler

jetboil has really let us all down

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> jetboil has really let us all down

But Jetboil did not actually make the stove. They sourced it through Primus, who probably got it from … ?

Cheers

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Well now we know why they called the new version the JetBoil Flash… ;-)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Heard they had a new stove coming out called the Jetboil "FLARE".

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Dangerous stuff pressurized gas.
    At least no-one has been injured, and Jetboil are seeking to remedy the situation.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Be happy that the corporation that processes peanuts doesn't control JetBoil…

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

From the pictures it looks like the recalled version might be lighter…

Mine has the pre-recall design and seems to seat very well on the three brands of canisters I've tried (Jetboil, MSR, Snowpeak)

It's interesting that Jetboil announced the recall a solid two months before CPSC posted it. I would think that a safety watchdog agency would be quicker than that.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

It says a tight valve causes the problem. Don't crank it down so hard.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

It is the canister attachment threads on the bottom of the valve assembly, not the valve itself. This resulted in canisters not being fully tightened and leaking.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Diane, you said "It says a tight valve causes the problem. Don't crank it down so hard."

The recall says
    "Hazard: A tight valve attached to the stove's fuel source can allow gas to leak, posing a fire hazard to consumers."

I read this as saying 'even' a tight valve can allow gas to leak.

It says nothing about "overly tight" or operator error.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

I have the pre-recall version A, which looks just like the fitting from a Primus Classic Trail stove. I've never seen the other kinds but they sure do look cheap in the pictures.

I'm not as scared of it as I am of pouring alcohol into a still-burning, invisible-flame stove during the daylight!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools