Topic

It’s really cool when others do this in the backcountry!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion It’s really cool when others do this in the backcountry!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    e e

@green73brc

My wife and I backpack more ultralight for comfort. We meet 2 older ladies in their 60's on a portion of the PCT. They were doing as many 3 day sections of the PCT they could. They had just made an incredible amount of distance and my wife and I were surprised at how much mileage they did. we talked about lightweight philosophy for a bit and they were surprised by our 20 and 12 pound base weights (heavy for this crowd) I felt so bad for them because even with their heavy packs they had freeze dried meals. We made tri-tip burritos with rice and cheese for dinner and had a bunch left over. We finally convinced them to take some but they did not take much. 2 Minutes after we got back to camp they came back for more! They were so grateful for real food they gave us some funky dessert brownie that was really gross but it was so fun to brighten these two old ladies day!

Seth Ayotte

@sethayot

Locale: Western Oregon

Allright, I´m still waiting for the bus here in Patagonia, so I´ll give you an Argentina story. Although it has more to do with getting out of the backcountry, I think it fits the bill.

We were on the last day of a weeklong hike through a remote, mostly trail-less area of northern patagonia. We had been fishing on the river we were hiking down and put off our departure until the last minute, about six oclock at night. We had about an 8 mile hike out of the river canyon to a small group of houses known as Vilu Mallin, from where it was still 20km to town, where we needed to catch a bus the next morning. We had been advised by a local gaucho that there was a guy at Vilu with a truck who couild take us into town, but when we arrived, right at dark and completely exhausted from a fast-paced hike, we found out that the guy´s truck was broken down and he could not take us into town. At this small settlement there was a payphone of sorts, and some guys we talked to recommended that we call the local POLICE to give us a ride to town.

So, we called up the cops, explained our situation, and sure enough, within 20 minutes they showed up in a nice 4 door truck to give us a free ride to town. Not only that, but they let us camp out on the front lawn of the police station AND woke us up at 5am the next morning when the bus was about to come. Nothing against the cops in the US, but does anyone think they would ever do anything like that? It is amazing the kindness of generosity of people down here and this is just one of a number of interesting transportation stories I´ve got from this trip so far.

Like the thread, keep em coming!

Anitra Kass

@anitraten

Locale: SoCal

Well, this happened in a trail town when I was hiking the CDT. I am still shocked but refreshed by the kindness bestowed upon me on my hikes…

In Leadore, ID, a bunch of us hikers were in town doing chores and resupply and met a girl who offered us the use of her laptop since the library was closed (she figured we'd want to check email or send out an update or pay a bill, etc.). It was very kind of her. The only place to get internet is the Library (if you sit out front you can get internet on the laptop). Well, the battery on the laptop died but we didn't mind. The hikers who were around just chatted with her (Julie was her name).

Well, the assistant library pulled up to do some work (on her off day) and invited us in to use the computers. Which was really nice. She didn't have to do that but it was much appreciated that she did. But it doesn't end there.

I finished using the computer and went to the Post Office, Roberta (the asst. librarian) came over to me and asked me if I wanted a ride to the city park where we were all going to camp for the night. I had more errands to do so I declined and it was only a quarter to half-mile walk. But she drove to the park and invited all the other hikers there to come back to the library to use the computers. I thought that was incredible.

Roberta made my day and I still send her post cards when I am hiking (I sent her quite a few from the CDT hike). She went out of her way to make hikers feel welcome in Leadore. I feel lucky to have been able to use the computer, update journals, pay bills, check email, check news, etc. But, I feel even luckier to have met Roberta. She is one of many reminders of the goodness in people that I experienced on the CDT in 2007. Thank you Roberta, thank you!
    NITRO

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

A couple summers ago a friend and I paddled… er, "hiked" from Lake Huron to Lake Michigan. The put… trailhead showed public parking on our maps, but when we pulled in were told that we'd have to pay daily parking fees for the full two weeks of our trip. Frustrated, we talked with a guy in the marina nearby who had no spare space. A cop stopped and spent at least 10 minutes trying to help us out. We finally pulled into an outfitters about a mile upriver… and they not only offered to let us park in their lot for free, but offered us free shuttle service!

The first leg of that trip was all upriver, and the last stretch was well-riffled, frequently too shallow to get good "traction," rains in 30-40*F weather with winds gusting around 40MPH. We were dead whipped when we got into the established camp one night. Two fellows there came over and started talking with us–and offered to ferry us some 30 miles to the downriver part of our trip! (We declined, and kept paddling.) I know, I know…suspicious use of terms involving water. But it was really, really cool to run into people so interested in helping others out of their backcountry binds.

Michael Landman

@malndman

Locale: Central NC, USA

several years ago on a solo hike, I was permitted to camp in Cottonwood Creak use area on the last night of a 6 day trip. I arrived a bit before dusk and saw another couple camped there and asked if it would be OK if I set up a couple of hundred yards away. They said "Sure".
    I had set camp, finished dinner when they strolled up with a bottle of Red and some cigars to share.

A nice evening was spent by all.

James Bahner

@jmbahner

Locale: Philly suburbs

Its cool reading all of these stories, as a rock climber these stories are rare in our community.

In my personal experience I have had some cool things happen, this summer in Sedona we had a guy give my girlfriend and I there last beers, and later or in Flagstaff we got invited to a couples campsite for watermelon and beer. And during our whole trip this June we have had tons of cool conversations with great people all over the country along the trails we hiked.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

>Well a forum member stepped up and said he'd kick in the additional $15 for the scout, so the deal was done.<

This just came from the scout who was "helped" out:
    "Dear Kind Sir,
    I appreciate your donation to help me buy the tarp/rainsuit. I really needed a lightweight rainsuit, and a trap is always useful. (It gets wet in Washington!) I was pleasantly surprised to find that someone would be so kind as to help towards the purchase of scout gear. I really enjoy scouting and your donation is a great help. I hope one day I can help someone else. Thank you!"

Thanks again Ali

Bob Ellenberg

@bobthebuilder

A couple of years ago my wife and I planned to hike the Kisatchie National Forest trail in Louisiana. There are almost no backpackers in LA and it isn't near anything other than a couple of stores on a highway (but you don't know that until you get there). We started making inquires about a ferry ride over the phone with park rangers and they literally didn't know what we were talking about. I was ready to give up on the planned trip after a few days of getting no information when my wife called a church retreat a few miles away. They were closed for the winter but a maintenance man answered the phone. When my wife explained what were trying to accomplish, he offered to ferry us. Two months later we were at a country store at 7AM on Sunday morning and he showed up. Turns out he had driven 25 miles to get there, drove us another 20 to our drop off point and would not let us pay anything! He was headed to church so we insisted he take $20 to put in the offering plate.

The trail was the Wild Azalea trail. In spring it is covered with Azaleas and Dogwoods in bloom, the weather gorgeous, plenty of clear creeks and we didn't see another soul the entire hike!

Pat Megowan
    BPL Member

@patmegowan

Locale: Western Oregon

Not solely backcountry, but really cool.

Many years ago: Northern Yosemite, autumn, deep backcountry, heavy pack, exhausting day, inexperienced and careless, slept in a slight drainage–oops–woke to all wet down and cotton equip and snow. Two days of fear and shivering in a space blanket; when weather broke on 3rd morning I changed plans and headed for the nearest roadend 19 miles away. Arrived early evening dead exhausted to find that Hetch Hetchy is approx. the middle of nowhere, no one around. Wishing only to be far away I started down the road like a zombie, no plan, no brain activity at all in all likelihood.

As the light fades a car drives by, coming from lake (roadend), but I'm too out it to even stick out a thumb. About 30 yards ahead they stop, back up, look at me closely. They probably introduce themselves, but they definitely wedge me in back w/their gear, take me to camp, put me to bed, coax down some food and drink, talk softly…CLONK, down go the eyelids for a long long time.

They were a brother and sister from the east (of the Sierras, anyhow) touring the country in a big old sedan with a canoe strapped on top and the back seat partially removed to allow sleeping inside if necessary. They have ever since shaped my notion of angels, trail or otherwise!

luke vires

@1ukev

this is a cool thread lets keep it going

a couple of months ago i was doing a quick over night west of phoenix. About an hour before dark and 6 miles from the trailhead i came across 2 moms and 3 kids. They had no map, no flashlight and were out of water. They had no idea where they were and that they still had 6 miles to go with an hour of daylight left, until i told them and showed them on my map were we were. As the kids learned how far they still had to go they all started crying, i reassured them all theyd make it out ok, and provided my extra light, some jerky, my map, and some water. The trek out without the light would have been horrible, and they were extremely greatful.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

Along with my kids I hike a lot with scouts. We have an area we like to go to in the local San Gabriel Mountains. We walk into Little Jimmy camp and then the next morning hike up to and back from Mt. Baden Powell.

One night we heard another group come in real late. We got up early the next morning and started our hike. Later, when we came back, we found out the other group that came in the night had not bear bagged and bears had taken everything. We were on our way out and gave the group everything we had. If they did not have that food they would have left their trip early. Nothing hard on our part but I know they were glad to have learned a lesson and still be able to complete their trip.

One good thing about scouts is they almost always take too much food. This time we were able to put it to good use.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I've got dozens of stories about the exceptional kindness of strangers in the backcountry. It's easily one of the top five reasons why I like backpacking.

One from this summer, but not in the backcountry… I was hiking the Colorado Trail and resupplying in the Leadville supermarket just before night. One guy approaches me asking if I want a ride to the trail. But he's going to a different trailhead and doesn't quite get that I don't want to skip miles. So no thanks, I keep shopping. After a few more minutes another guy comes up and and says he overhead the interaction. He's not going to the trail but he'd love to give us a ride because he was impressed by "the purity" of the effort. I say thanks, but that I'm nowhere near done with my shopping and I could just hitch a ride with someone already going up the hill. He says he'll wait, and asks if my girlfriend and I like beer.

Thirty minutes later we take off with a free six pack of excellent beer on him. At the trailhead, we chat and he insists that he'll meet us the next morning down the trail. Sure enough, 3 miles in from pavement, at 9am, far down a dirt road, there he is. He brought us FRESH COFFEE and five USGS quads for an alternate route through the Collegiate Peaks that he wanted us to do. Now, that was cool.

Michael Bachman

@rivrfox

Locale: Western Slope, Colorado

Recently,

My gf, her good friend and I hiked up to Copper Lake from Gothic, CO (near Crested Butte) and met some nice people dayhiking that loved our aussie/collie mix.

We then met people from CB South that were also camping there and hiked up to Triangle Pass somewhat together sharing information from some dayhikers (gothic to conundrum and back) the day before. They gave us some good info on route selection and the lackthereof on part of the trail up Triangle Pass.

Our friends that are working a local music festival met us that evening at Conundrum Hot Springs. They brought whiskey to share and shared eggs with us the next morning. Yummy and so much fun adding to our group. Our neighbors were super nice too and the atmosphere was great.

Leaving Conundrum for Aspen we were hiking close to two friends. I struck up a conversation and they offered to give us a ride from the trailhead into Aspen and we had some very pleasant conversation.

Our dog was let on public buses twice allowing our hike to flow smoothly as we went back via West Maroon Pass where day hikers took one of our group back to the Judd Falls parking where he was picked up by someone going to the upper parking lot.

Met some very nice people along the way even if some of the encounters were brief.

Cheers,
    M

(Trip report coming soon)

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools