Topic

Bug Shelter for 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Bug Shelter for 2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I've been toying with bug shelter designs for 2 people to be used under a tarp and this is what I've come up with.

It's a little over 30 sq ft at the floor which should all be usable since the walls come up 18" before turning in and the peak height is 4 ft. I'm figuring the weight at around 1 lb with 1.3 oz sil for the floor and no-seeum for the mesh. I would probably also put zippers on both ends but I'm not sure what those weigh.

(you can click the image to see the large version)

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Chris,
    Drop the 'box' on the bottom in favor of a following the slope of the 'roof' to the ground. Unless you are going to use mini-poles at the corners and stake them they will pull in to the tie on the tarp. It will be easier to build. You'll gain interior storage and elbow room at the cost of very little weight. IMHO.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Greg-

I looked at some shelters that follow that model (integral designs and granite gear) but keep to the same floor width and I felt like they lost too much usable space. Playing around in Google Sketchup the dimensions for the one I drew up would require a 10'x10' tarp to get good coverage so widening the floor would probably require a wider tarp. I haven't used the GG or ID bug tents so I'm just going off photos and brainstorming.

-Chris

William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

Hmm…not sure if it matters, but you've sketched this for a level-pitched tarp. It seems that at least some of the time that tarps are pitched into "A" shape with one of the short sides lowered to better deal with prevailing wind/rain.

You could modify the bug net design to have the "back" be lower than the front, though that would affect the sidewall height on the shortened height end.

Take my comments as supportive brain-storming…and certainly not critical.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Chris,
    Consider it this way then…the bug net attaches to the ridge of the tarp and the tie-outs are extensions of the bug net 'roof', with the 'box' hanging off that at some point.

It just depends where you decide to drop the corners. You may not get 'body space' but you will get 'gear space' for not much more netting.

No need for a bigger tarp. It is already covering that space.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

(click to see the large version)

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

The 3'9" dimension for the front left edge is suspect-

Or is it an elevation rather than an edge dimension?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Elevation. 3" tub + 3'9" to peak (4' total height peak).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools