Topic

Bivy question

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
PostedFeb 11, 2009 at 7:30 am

I got a new UL bivy yesterday and I was wondering if I should roll it up everytime or if I could just stuff it like I do my sleeping bag? I assume this would also be bad for a tarp. Also, the bivy is a bit snug. If I lose loft from the compacting of the bivy will I also lose warmth or in any way compramise it's function? I need to learn how to make these things! The bivy is a Mtn. Hardwear with the conduit fabric. Thanks for any comments!

PostedFeb 11, 2009 at 7:52 am

I’m of the philosophy that neither stuffing nor rolling compromise any fabric, so something else has to be the driver.

Since you said ‘yesterday’ I assume it’s a bit cold, and there may be an argument for getting any warm moist air out of the bivy as it goes into the sack. So it’s your choice on rolling from the bottom or stuffing from the bottom.

Compaction is indirectly mentioned in another tread in regards to the ‘optimal density’ of down in the UL world versus the laboratory. UL density is a low for cost reasons, but minor compression does not compromise effectiveness as the ‘areal density’ remains the same.

Thank you Mr. Nisley for this insight.

I have no idea if you need to learn how to sew or not. Got more time than money, and the willingness to ‘get it perfect next time’? Then maybe so. ;-)

PostedFeb 11, 2009 at 7:57 am

I would roll it – there was an article in Backpacker a while back about how stuffing puts an inordinate amount of stress on fabrics and you'll never be able to fold your [item] in the same spot enough to cause real damage. I roll all my shelters.

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedFeb 11, 2009 at 12:50 pm

> there was an article in Backpacker a while back about how stuffing puts an inordinate amount of stress on fabrics

I have some trouble in understanding or even believing this claim.

Cheers

PostedFeb 11, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Being a 'stuffer' I find that most stuffable kit is more easily compressable when stuffed rather than when folded. I have therefore also asked myself the same question as the OP. Here's my rationale which seems logical enough:

Stuffing means that a fabric will have numerous folded points which, over time, will vary tremendously.To my mind this seems preferable to having a piece of kit that is always folded in the same way. Besides, surely if folding repeatadly in the same way poses no threat to the kit then logic dictates that neither does multiple stuffings?

The kind of foldable kit that I stuff includes mainly tarps, and poncho /tarps and single skin tent fly's.

N.B Matt, you just posted whilst I was writing so I'm going to suggest a compromise. Stuffing kit whilst on the trail and folding / rolling whilst storing kit between trips!

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedFeb 11, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Stuff or Roll?

I can see what they are on about, but I suspect that it applies more to the old PU coatings than to silnylon. And I suspect that with modern fabrics other wear-out mechanisms might be more significant anyhow. I have to say I have never seen the problem in the field.

I admit I usually roll up my tent, but that is because I am trying to keep the dirty underside of the groundsheet clear of the fly.

My silnylon poncho gets alternately stuffed and rolled, or a combination of the two!

Cheers

PostedFeb 11, 2009 at 5:23 pm

Roger, I think you're right on the PU coating. I can really see how stuffing would tear the stuff apart. Sil nylon has its waterproofing impregnated in it so it should not matter.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...