Topic

Need March 6th through 15th Hike Ideas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Need March 6th through 15th Hike Ideas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Stuart Armstrong

@strong806

Locale: Near the AT

E

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

Ozark Highlands Trail – 7 hrs away in Arkansas?

Stuart Armstrong

@strong806

Thanks Chris, I'm going to do it!

Stuart Armstrong

@strong806

The OHT was severely damaged by ice storms and seems to be in bad shape for a thru hike.

Any other ideas out there?

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Joe?

Stuart Armstrong

@strong806

Not sure I know what you mean.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

I was hoping Joe Clement might have some ideas.

Stuart Armstrong

@strong806

Oh ok.

I was thinking of taking a small gas chainsaw, but I might not get too far.

I can always go out to Guadalupe Peak, but lugging tons of water through Big Bend turned me off to Texas. :)

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

So I'm a little slow. I wish I could help, but I've spent the last several weeks trying to find a longer hike in Texas, and failed. You'll have to carry as much water in the Guadelupes as in Big Bend, unless you break it up into a bunch of 2-3 day hikes. You might check with the rangers in the Gila wilderness, it's been pretty dry, may not be much snow. If I come up with something I'll let you know.

I keep thinking we need to come up with the Texas answer to the AT.

les lloyd
    BPL Member

@denaliguide

Locale: new zealand & alaska

how about southern utah?

the grand gulch area should be pretty much free of snow and the crowds won't be there either. water is plentiful. indian ruins and rockart abound. route finding varies from easy to difficult depending on route selected. you could easily do a 100 miles of travel there connecting all the different canyons on cedar mesa. grand gulch is 50 miles in length itself. throw in slickhorn or a couple on the east side and you would have a great trip. nights might be cool (altitude is around 6300ft at the kane gulch ranger station).

the drive might be a little longer than 14 hours. 16 on map quest from austin tx. to bluff, ut.

i love this area. i usually go a month later though.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

How about Big Bend State Park? I know they have some loops, some with water; probably have to call a ranger.

Stuart Armstrong

@strong806

Les: I'll have to keep that in mind for next time.

Joe: I did the Outer Mountain Loop in Big Bend in December and that will be the last time I do it. Carrying so much water and having to worry about how much to drink really takes the fun out of it! I need to post a trip report on it when I get time.

I've decided to do the Ozark Highlands Trail, but based on the ice damage I'm going to do the first half of the trail out and back. 85 miles to Ozone to resupply and then 85 miles back to my car. At least I save $140 on a shuttle service.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Sounds like you did the outer loop in Big Bend National Park. I am talking about Big Bend Ranch State Park. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/big_bend_ranch/

Newsletter here – http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_br_p4507_1437_09_08.pdf

I'll take a Texas SP over the National Park _______ any day.

Stuart Armstrong

@strong806

Oh OK Joe, my bad, I'll check it out.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools