Topic

Pyramid style tarp shelter!

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
PostedFeb 10, 2009 at 6:26 am

What is the best alround pyramid tarp shelter for year around use? Oware, MLD, Black Diamond Megalite or Golite? I greatly appreciate any input!!

PostedFeb 10, 2009 at 7:59 am

I looked at all you listed and went with the GoLite. I'm very pleased.

PostedFeb 10, 2009 at 8:02 am

Joseph,

For how many people? For 2 people, it's hard to wrong with the GoLite. For solo use, check out MLD's DuoMid. It'll save you 10+ oz.

PostedFeb 10, 2009 at 8:14 am

I need one for solo use and when I take my two small dogs. I will definitely will check out the MLD Duomid! How well does it perform in winter conditions?

Jay Wilkerson BPL Member
PostedFeb 10, 2009 at 8:22 am

Go with the Golite Hex or Shangri La teepee tent—very tough and tested. "Bombproof"

Steven Evans BPL Member
PostedFeb 10, 2009 at 8:31 am

I "think" technically, a hex style shelter will shed wind/weather better then a pyramid, but I have a Cuben Duomid and absolutely love it. I think a bunch of owners are using it for winter (I do) so if you look you can find a thread with a number of pictures posted of them – it'll give you a good idea of space/height.
Steve

PostedFeb 10, 2009 at 1:17 pm

I leaning towards the MLD Doumid for solo use. Which tarp material would be best…Silnylon, cuben or spectralite?

PostedFeb 10, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Joseph…Spectralite is the term MLD uses for cuben, so it's the same thing. Although some say silnylon is better in rougher or snow load conditions, I continue to go for Ron's Spectralite versions… which is what I did for the DuoMid, too. Perhaps you meant to include Spinntex which is a light, but somewhat more fragile material than Spectralite in my experience.

PostedFeb 10, 2009 at 1:33 pm

I believe people in these forums use the cuben DuoMid for summer, and the Silnylon for winter. Mine is still on order, so I can't comment on performance.

I think one dog would be just fine in the DuoMid; Ron at MLD has a photo of a DuoMid with a dog in it. If both your dogs are big, or have sharp claws, I would stick with the GoLite; it's really got a lot of space (I do own one of these), particularly at dog height, and GoLite claims the fabric (1.76oz silnylon) is twice as tear resistant than 1.35oz silnylon.

PostedFeb 10, 2009 at 1:35 pm

John, Thanks for correcting my error! I going to order the Spectralite Duomid. Can't wait to try it out this spring!!

Rog Tallbloke BPL Member
PostedFeb 11, 2009 at 1:50 am

Those duomids look great. Why is cuben not recommended for winter use?

PostedFeb 11, 2009 at 7:13 am

Roger,
I missed the suggestion that cuben was not a good winter choice.
Got a reference? Or a rumor? Or a hunch?

Thus far, since it's introduction, I think it has seen a fair amount of winter use without issue.

Rog Tallbloke BPL Member
PostedFeb 11, 2009 at 7:39 am

Just going on the comments. i have no experience of cuben personally. Seen a wind damaged refuge X on this site. Anyone with more knowledge should speak up!

Steven Evans BPL Member
PostedFeb 11, 2009 at 7:44 am

Greg, I think the reference is coming from the Duomid. I have heard (not firsthand – just through others on this site) that Ron recommends the silnylon for winter as it handles snow loads better. FWIW, I have been using my Cuben Duo all winter.

Maybe the silnylon handles wind/load better because it stretches, and therefore reduces the force slightly on the guy points?

PostedFeb 11, 2009 at 8:04 am

Interesting observation on the 'stretch' factor of silnylon versus cuben. It certainly makes sense in terms of dynamic wind loads. Easily addressed with shockcorded tie-outs.

I do recall a comment regarding zipper failure in Erin's first Mid – due to an awful lot of sandy enviroment use – that was addressed by a beefier #5 that is used in the silnylon version.

Hopefully someone will dig up the snow link….

PostedFeb 11, 2009 at 9:08 am

We’ve used the Oware Pyramid tarp for the past few years here in Southeast Alaska, where it rains and snows a lot. Our use has been primarily in the rain. It sheds water like a duck and has performed beyond our expectations in winds. The 9×9 footprint is palatial for two at just 26 ounces.

Pyramid Tarp Camp on Ralston Island, Southeast Alaska

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Loading...