Topic

Need a pack for my GF.

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
PostedFeb 10, 2009 at 2:50 am

Well, my girlfriend is still in college so she has no $$. I'm outfitting her with all of the hiking gear she'll need to tag along with me. I'm really stumped on a pack. She's 5'9" and pretty leggy. She is a slender girl (dunno if that's important or not for sizing). Her clothing is not light weight stuff. Therefore, a pack like the Golite Ion would be too small. I would much prefer to spend under $100 on this pack. It must also be under 2 lbs. Her base pack weight will be relatively light. I'm estimating 13 pounds. (most of it will probably be clothing) Suggestions?

Jim Colten BPL Member
PostedFeb 10, 2009 at 4:31 am

zpacks has two packs under your price point that are larger than the ion but not too large

prolitegear.com has the GG Virga available in a short size on sale for $87 … although that's twice the volume of the ion, would she need something that large?

Joe Clement BPL Member
PostedFeb 10, 2009 at 6:01 am

Several companies are closing out women's GoLite Jam2 and Pinnacle packs for less than $80. And you'll need to measure her torso to get the right size.

PostedFeb 10, 2009 at 8:03 am

Have her go to a good outfitter, get measured, and try out all the packs in the store that fit her (with the amount of weight that she will likely carry).
I have had packs that 'should' have been a good fit but I hated the way they felt when loaded.

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedFeb 10, 2009 at 8:15 am

Packs are fairly personal items. I've tried gifting packs with poor results, and when you think about it, those of us really into pack gear would be terrible gift recipients when it comes to packs — picky sorts :)

My point is, I would bite the bullet and let her try a bunch on and pick one out. Unless she has the UL zeal, good luck!

Tom Caldwell BPL Member
PostedFeb 10, 2009 at 11:25 am

Would she be offended by one that was used once? They float up in the evil bay pretty often, sold by disappointed husbands, and don't usually go that high, like quality men's stuff. You know the story.

Jonathan Ryan BPL Member
PostedFeb 10, 2009 at 12:58 pm

hey Chris,
a few years back I was struggling to find a pack for my petite sized wife. After numerous unsuccessful fittings we finally got her into a ULA Conduit and it worked perfectly. Pretty sure they are $100 and a real solid pack. Better still it is a great do everything pack as long as I have an appropriote sized pack to go along with our adventure.

Ed Barkowski BPL Member
PostedFeb 10, 2009 at 4:56 pm

Gossamer Gear packs are reasonably priced and come in all sizes. They have had a rotating sale on their different packs for the last 2 months or so. The G4 is marked down, currently, or you could spend a few more and snag something from the 'Posa line. I highly recommend checking them out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...