Topic

Your favorite home made stove?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Your favorite home made stove?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Taggart
    BPL Member

@ctaggart

Locale: Western PA

I have made three "Zen Stoves" from tin cans and absolutely love them! Here's a link to the one I made for reference.

http://zenstoves.net/ZenStove.htm

I think they're fun to make and love they're weight and reliability. The one stove was a gift for a friend who hiked the AT. He also fell in love with that stove. In tribute to home made stoves, name your favorite please.

James Dubendorf
    Spectator

@dubendorf

Locale: CO, UT, MA, ME, NH, VT

My favorite stove would have to be the first one I ever made. Sure, I became a bit unfocused towards the end and the glue could be a bit cleaner, but when it started up and those jets popped, I think it started a little alchohol stove in my heart.

My First MYOG Stove

Nowadays, I am not so innocent, my pack is lighter, my stove selection broader, but still…

"Either way I was happy
    to witness and be part of something
    that ever-so-little could rock the heart,
    tip it
    toward fullness."

From "Loveliness," by Stephen Dunn

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

A simple Garlington wood burner.

Wood Stove Side

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

My SUUL canister stove, I can us STD lindal screw type canisters, Coleman Xtreme and little cigarette lighter refill canisters, and it works in the cold.

Tony

Top SWS

Small canister stove

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Tony should be automatically disqualified from a home made stove thread. Whilst technically correct (he makes them at home) I doubt that more than one or two others here could get even close to that. But even I can (and have) made Sam's or James stoves.
    Franco

A stove
    With this I was trying for a narrower flame and faster bloom than other cat/supercat and similar stoves.
    It works but not as well as the Caldera Cone…
    A stove

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

I love my little RedBull stove. Works great with the smaller circumference of a Snow Peak 700 mug.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Tony should be automatically disqualified from a home made stove thread. Whilst technically
    > correct (he makes them at home) I doubt that more than one or two others here could get
    > even close to that.

I can count at least 3 or 4 who could…

Cheers

Jason Griffin

@jgriffinrn

Tony, that thing is sweet. How much water can you normally get to boil off of one of the lighter refills? Whats the boil times? How much does it weigh?

Dan, can you provide me with a link for instructions to make that redbull stove? How tall is it? Boil times and burn times on 1/2oz of fuel?

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Hi Jason,

I can boil about 0.8 liters of water with one small canister, which is enough for two cups of tea.

Here is a link to the MYOG thread SUUL Stove

Tony

Jason Griffin

@jgriffinrn

I'm currently using this… Just a tealight on a peice of foil. I haven't found anything that is as light and uses only 1/2 oz of fuel to boild 1 – 1.5 cups of water yet.

Tealight Stove on TinFoil Square

Sorry but I can't just show that, I have to show what I'm using it with. A Trappers Mug with a caldera cone cut down to the height of the Mug so it fits inside. Other things in the kit are a jetboil extending spoon, mini bic, and msr litelifter. I can probably scrap the litelifter but it's so covenient. I still need to drill some holes on the bottom of the cone and add an egg ring to the Mug to set the height I'm putting it into the cone. It all goes inside the mesh stuff bag that came with the mug.

Trappers Mug and Modified Caldera Cone

Trappers Mug and Modified Caldera Cone 2

Cook Kit

Cook Kit in Stuff Bag

It all weighs 8 & 3/8 oz with 4oz of fuel in there.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Jason,

I really like your system! It looks great, packs small. Low volume is a bigger challenge to me than is low weight!

Todd

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Jason,
    You might consider switching from the pot lifter to a wire gripper. David Lewis of this forum came up with this and it is basically a stiff wire ( coathanger, bike spoke, titanium wire ) that wraps around just under the lip of the mug and then juts out for a handle. The following two threads show some pictures.

About a third of the way down this page for a view of the handle on a Trapper Mug and some ideas on a lid.

HERE

Scroll almost to the end of this one to see how the handle hooks together.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?mv_session_id=RG2VEuyN&mv_pc=211&forum_thread_id=1058&disable_pagination=1

(Sorry for the long URL, I can't get this link to work.)

Happy Trails,

-Mark

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

With the silicone egg ring you may not need to use the lifters nor the wire gripper.
    Franco
    Mini CC

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

Jason – here are my specs for the little Red Bull stove above:

– 1.5" tall
    – 0.3 oz for the stove
    – .7 oz for the windscreen

When I tested it, it took 2/3 of an ounce to boil 16 oz of 55 degree cold tap water, but would boil 16 oz of room temperature water on only .5 oz. The cold water took 4 minutes and 15 seconds to boil. I believe it ran for just over 6 minutes on that much alcohol. That was with the windscreen and my snow peak mug, but was also in my basement. I haven't tested it since, I've only used it. I have a scratch mark at 2/3 of an ounce that I always fill it to for 16 oz of water, and it always boils.

The instructions I made it from are no longer on the net (it was a link to pcthiker.net). It's basically the exact same instructions as the pepsi can stove, except you use 2 Red Bull cans and a lot more patience. Try not to drink both Red Bull's immediately before building – you'll need steady hands. ;)

The benefit is that the burner is smaller around and much less flame is lost up the sides of a narrower pot.

More pics can be seen HERE.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools