Topic

Winter clothing system

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Winter clothing system

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ben Shuman

@benshuman

I’m trying to develop a little system that will work well for winter activites, (hiking, x-country skiing, snowshowing, etc)

I’m not going for the absolute lightest possible, but a ballance between functionality, comfort, price, and wieght.

It’s important to know i’m looking at temperatures between 10′-32’F and that my sleeping bag is a Mountainsmith Wisp (1lb 5.oz 32′ down bag), so i’ll be well exceeding it’s rating. I’ll likely be tarp or tarptenting (perhaps snowcave), with a montbell bivy.

How’s this look?
    ( * denotes items already owned)

In the Pack

*Mont Bell Silk SS 2oz
    Mont Bell UL Wind Jacket 2.5 oz
    *Mont Bell UL Down inner Vest 4oz
    Mont Bell Thermawrap Parka 14oz
    Ultralight Tights 2oz
    OR Windpro Balaclava 2.5oz
    ID Hot Socks 4oz

Total 31 oz

Wear
    *Patagonia R.5 LS
    *Patagonia capline boxers
    *Ibex Backcountry wool pants
    Hiking Socks/Liner
    Headsweats Winter Cap

It may be a little redundant (2 hats, vest & jacket, etc) but i don’t know how I’ll respond to 10’F temps (or lower?) in this bag.

For a while when i was sleeping in my truck, I did sleep in a 40’F TNF synthetic bag when it was 15’F for several nights. Of course, i was sleeping with my coat and clothes, etc and my feet still got *very* cold (only had cotton socks tho).

Thoughts?

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

You badly need a Vapor Barrier system.
    If you are using a down bag, and particularly one as light as the Wisp—you need to protect it from body generated moisture. Otherwise your bag’s loft is going to crash.
    Please read, for starters—
    http://www.ryanjordan.com/weblog/2005/12/the_fallacy_of_.html

You might also read the SUL Winter Challenge thread on this board.
    good luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools