Topic

sprouts on the trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition sprouts on the trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

Has anyone used a "sproutman" bag on the trail to grow fresh sprouts? I have the bag but have seldom used it. Only at home. Not on the trail.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Does it grow enough to make a real difference in your diet?
    Ive heard that sprouts may be high in minerals and vitamins, maybe they could be supplemental in that way?

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

Brian. It would be a nice addition as far as fresh vegies would go. I eat them at home all the time…

Max Hoagland

@maxhoagland

Heck yeah man! I did a trip where I didn't bring a stove and sprouted. For my bowl, I used one of those ziploc square bowls with the lid. After dinner, I soaked quinoa in my bowl. The next morning I drained it with a bandana (kept it in the bandana while I ate my cereal out of the bowl) then put the quinoa back in the bowl, with the lid on. I stuffed the container in the side mesh pocket of my pack and left it there all day while I hiked. That night, I had the beginnings of sprouts, which made for a good salad.

As much as I love sprouts, I wouldn't do it again… to much work, not very satisfying – but you should definitely try it!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

We sprout all the time at home and on the trail. Sometimes I use a ziplock freezer bag but most often I use a water bottle (which I know isn't that UL but it keeps them from getting bruised). A good site for information and supplies is http://www.sprouting.com

Matt Lauterbach

@ulfamilyof4

Wow, I love sprouts and they would be a welcome treat after a couple days of freezer bag meals. Could you share any details? I checked out the site, but what do you do on the trail?

Cheers, Matt

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

I explain it in the book but will type it out here as best as I can. Basically you need three things… a container such as a Nalgene water bottle (I know this isn't UL but I just find the container easier)… with the container I use an elastic and a small piece of cheesecloth (double layer). You can use a ziploc steamer bag but with the baggie poke more holes in it for air (after the soaking period).

You soak the sprouts according to the package directions It will vary by type of sprout (the bag or container is sealed at this point). We often do this if we get into camp early and the pour the water out at bedtime. Overnight is good too. The package will give you the soaking times but generally speaking it's about 4 to 6 hours.

Then you pour off the water and poke holes in the ziplock or put the cheesecloth over the mouth of the container and secure with an elastic. The sprouts need the air to grow. I carbiner the Nalgene to the back of my pack so that the sprouts get some light as well.

You will have to cover the sprouts with water twice a day and give them a good rinse and drain. I do this at breakfast and dinner. Within a few days you will have yummy crunchy sprouts.

I usually do 2 tablespoons for the 3 of us and that way we can enjoy them for a few days.

Matt Lauterbach

@ulfamilyof4

Thanks Laurie, I'm going to the health food store to try it out. Do you have a favorite? Quickest sprouters?

Cheers,
    Matt

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

My favorite really depends on my mood. Right now it's daikon radish because they have nice bite to them and broccoli sprouts are always a standby around here.

This is a really yummy wrap. A serving of chicken (either from a pouch or rehydrated from canned), a little roasted red pepper spread (rehydrated), broccoli sprouts, and some swiss cheese. We usually have this in a green wrap that is made with spinach.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools