Topic

Lightening a Jam2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightening a Jam2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

I am looking at making my Jam2 lighter and I am wondering what others who have lightened their Jam2 done and what weight savings they finally achieved.

I am particularly interested if anyone has removed the foam back pad and pocket that it goes in and if they have removed the pad, how it performs.I plan to use my sleeping mat as support.

So far I have removed the hydration bladder sleeve which I will never use saving around 39g.

I am looking at shortening most of the straps and removing any loops that I do not think I need.

Tony

Dennis Hiorns

@hanson

Locale: Michigan

I just bought a Jam 2 that was lightened by the previous owner by removing the bladder sleeve and pad, as well as all the extra strap webbing. While I haven't gotten out on the trail yet, it seems to be just fine using a sleeping pad for support. The one thing that I would recommend – leave the straps on one side of the bag full length so you can attach other items underneath them. The guy who altered my pack seemed to really know what he was doing, and now the pack weighs right around 16 oz.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

I trimmed down my JAM pack (an older version of the JAM2) and I got it down to 14.5 oz.

This weight doesn't really transfer to the newer version, which weighs 26 oz. off the shelf.

MY TRIMMING:
    ============

1. I trimmed off ALL the extraneous webbing and loops. I measured how long I thought I needed them, and cut 'em down. Nixed the ice axe holders and the side compression straps.

2. I replaced the sternum strap with a smaller buckle, and sewed it directly to the shoulder strap (non-adjustable).

3. I replaced the hip strap with a much smaller section of webbing.

4. I cut out the pad holder and water bladder pocket.

5. I cut off a little bit from the height of the pack opening. Maybe 2 inches. I lost a little bit of volume doing this. I re-threaded a smaller string thru a simlpe series of holes (like an old navy duffle) and added asmaller cord-lock.

6. I also cut out the dividing fabric between the back zippered pocket and the main compartment. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS! It didn't work so well. It made the contents of the pack sort of bulge out in that area. The pack lost it's stream-line feel.

wash

THe above is the present JAM2 pack.

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Thanks Dennis and Mike for your tips, 16 oz and 14.5 oz is very light. My Jam2 is a year old and originally weighed 626.5g (22.1oz)

I currently have it down to 542.7g (19.1 oz), seems like I still have a bit to go.

I will post its final weight when I finish.

Tony

Phil Brown

@pbrown19

Locale: Traverse City MI

This is a small detail, but I cut off the existing zipper pulls and replaced them with some spectra cord.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

My original Jam2 size medium weighed 20.5 oz.

1. I removed the sternum strap

2. I shortened most straps, cut off the hydration tube holders (bad for photos)

3. I removed the hydration sleeve

4. I cut off the waist belt by using a wood burning tool at an angle equal to the angle of the shoulder strap web inside, then folded a small flap over and sewed it.

My new pack weighs 16.76 oz which isnt bad considering I still have the foam back panel and pack panel pocket. I use this pack as a day pack so I really like having the panel to help frame it out when only loosely filled. If it were only a backpack I would remove the back pad and pocket.

Jamie

Here are a few pics.

jam2

nobelt

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools