Topic

duralite pots

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) duralite pots

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ian Rae
    BPL Member

@iancrae

Locale: North Cascades

Does anyone out there have a MSR Duralite Mini set? Do you know the weights of the individual components? I am ready for a new cookpot to replace my 13oz!!! stainless cookpot.

I nearly always hike w/ 2 people, so I need something a bit bigger than just one 750ml pot. I’m thinking that having the choice btw the 1.0L and the 1.5L would be nice… wouln’t ever take the whole set.

I’m open to other suggestions, but I like the nonstick/andonized aluminum options, as I often dehydrate my own food, which sometimes needs simmering for awhile. Therefore, something which cleans easier than titanium seems worthwhile. I haven’t tried the pot cozy route, however. Maybe w/ the pot cozy I wouldnt need to simmer in the pot, eliminating burnt on food?

Ian Rae
    BPL Member

@iancrae

No one has this set of pots? How about any other suggestions? I’m thinking I want something somewhat nonstick, but could be convinced that Titanium is the way to go… The andonized aluminum seems like a pretty good comprimise, and some of them are pretty light.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Ian,
    Any titanium sized for your needs will be OK. Titanium and hard anodized aluminum are both reasonably non-stick, Just don’t burn the eggs too much. Take your postage scales into the store. It’s fun to intimidate the clerks with it.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

Ian,
    I have no experience with the MSR Duralite line, but I do use the Snow Peak Titanium 1400, 900 and 700. If you get the Titanium Trek Combo as a set, you get both the 1400 and 900 for about a dollar cheaper than buying separately. I use the 1400 in winter melting snow, the 900 for two of us and the 700 when alone. When stored, they all nestle within each other for a nice compact unit.

I re-hydrate food as well, but I use a quart freezer bag in a cozy, so I only have to boil water in the pots. No clean up (besides licking the spoon) is needed. Once you get past eating out of a ziplock bag, it is much easier, less hassle, and much faster; unless of course you like cleaning up dishes!

Ian Rae
    BPL Member

@iancrae

Mike,
    I think that it is time to start eating out of the bag, and make myself a cozy. I’m already over eating out of a bag, if it means not doing the dishes. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ian Rae
    BPL Member

@iancrae

Vick,
    I can just picture it now: A busy REI on the day after cristmas, and me with my postal scale making the clerk balance the pots on it… I might just have to try it.
    Thanks for the reply, I think maybe it’s time to go for the titanium.
    I havent heard good things about the evernew nonstick titanium, but maybe it’s from people expecting their eggs not to stick when cooking them over their whisperlite. Anyone use these?

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Eeeyah… How many backpacking outfitters do you know who keep scales available for customers to use????

Go figure.

Glenn Roberts

@garkjr

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

I don’t know anyone who uses the non-stick titanium. Most ultralighters I know, by the time they want titanium, are mostly eating boil-water-and-dump-in-food dinners, so sticking isn’t a consideration. And, by that time, they’re so ounce-conscious that they’re not going to be happy with the weight of non-stick titanium, when the lighter uncoated titanium is out there.

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

I have the Duralite Mini set and a few Ti items. The Duralite is nice, quite a bit less expensive but on the heavy side. I will be using the Ti pieces for solo and long distance and retire the Duralite to car camping type trips.

I suspect anyone that frequents this site will go Ti (or even lighter MYOG such as Heini pots) sooner or later. You may want to just invest in Ti to begin with and get it over with. Duralite + Ti costs more than just Ti.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

FTR… I carried my scale into the local outfitters, Blue Ridge Mountain Sports, Williamsburg VA,so many times that they got two models to keep in the store for anyone use… Yea!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools