Topic

V8 Chimney Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear V8 Chimney Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks to Dan for letting me borrow a Cobalt stove to assist in finding a solution to cooking with a narrow pot like a Heineken or a FL 550 I purchased during the recent sale.

Dan’s cobalt did the job using ½ ounce of alcohol but the stove is too heavy. The burner head matches up with the V8 can stoves I use and I have modified one to match the Colbalt design by Dan. This V8 can stove omits the inner wall in favor of the chimney. It is the same as the Cobalt in every respect except the can, of course.
    V8Stove
    V8-Cobalt

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Very nice John. Omitting the inner wall is awesome thinking.

When I can squeeze another stove in I'll give your idea a try. = )

Scott Littlefield

@sclittlefield

Locale: Northern Woods of Maine

Dan – I've not seen your Cobalt modified for Heineken pots up close, so keep that in mind. I wonder if it would be possible to affix your pot stand to the inner wall with jb weld or rivets or some more ingenious way to get rid of some weight.

Or, maybe you've already done this or tried it, cutting chunks out of the stand where it's inside the stove – holes or rectangles, or whatever – just to remove more material to drop the weight a bit.

That said, I don't know what it weighs, and not knowing what you use for the stand I have no clue how much weight that would drop. Would it even be worth it?

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Scott, ever since I started this thread all kinds of information is coming about and ideas are really flowing. I've been able to reduce the height of the "cobalt" in half. The stainless steel insert/chimney has some really promising improvements in the stoves design. Right now it's a one piece stove, but who really care if it's a 2 pc with one piece permanently attached. The prototype i'm working on lights with no problem in cold weather and is not effected by a cold pot being put on it. It's smaller and lighter. Downside it only holds 1.5 ounces of fuel. Upside it's for a solo hiker to include all the other goodies. Lots of good things coming in the future.

Scott Littlefield

@sclittlefield

Locale: Northern Woods of Maine

Looking forward to seeing the "up and coming" changes. Keep at it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools