Topic

WM Ultralite Super EU Specs

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
PostedFeb 8, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Hi

I just picked up a WM Ultralite 6' bag to try and it has following info.

Filling: 850+ fill power goose down
T Comfort = -2c(28.5f)
T Limit = -9c(15.8f)
T Extreme= -27c(-16.6f)

Please not only centigrade is mentioned on the label

According to Wm website the bag is 'good to 20', and whilst I know everyone here rates this bag it seems strange that the comfort rating is labelled -2.

Can someone confirm to me how the bag is labelled in US

CW BPL Member
PostedFeb 8, 2009 at 2:36 pm

It's sold in the US by WM as a 20 degree (Farenheit) bag.

PostedFeb 8, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Thanks for that info

In UK at least it is pretty much common to have comfort/limit/extreme ratings. I have always been led to believe to take 'comfort' wearing appropiate clothing to be the only rating to take on board.

I can't believe that WM manufacture anything different for the EU market than they do for US market. All I read about on this forum is how conservative they are on their ratings, and it seems to me that they are having/choosing to be even more conservative on their ratings in the EU.

However I must say I am not entirely comfortable with the cut of the bag. A bit too tight for me. I am being messed around on a pair of Mont-Bell UL SS Hugger #2 (delivery gone from 7 weeks to 16 weeks) so was looking at this for an alternative. I wonder how they will come labelled to me in the UK if they ever turn up. Back to the drawing board for me I think.

PostedFeb 8, 2009 at 3:04 pm

In Australia it's sold as a -6C bag… ie. they just use the same US specs.

Do you know whether those EN ratings are official? That is, has the bag actually been tested or are they "guesstimates" provided by the distributor. Are EN ratings mandatory in the EU? If so, then I guess it has been tested officially… I'd agree that a comfort rating of only -2C is surprising.

PostedFeb 8, 2009 at 6:09 pm

I do not know, if this bag ist tested to the EN 13537, but T Comfort is referred to a ‘standard’ woman (25 years old, 60kg, 1,60m), who is just not freezing.
T Limit is referred to a ‘standard’ man (25 years old, 70kg, 1,73m), who is just not freezing or not yet freezing.
T Extreme is referred to above mentioned ‘standard’ woman in a very cold situation. There will be already a risk of hypothermia.

My translation from globetrotter.de.

More to find in this PDF on page 25. There it says: The EN 13537 Lower Limit is based on a standard man as the lowest temperature to have a comfortable nights sleep. That would be the T Limit value for the WM Ultralite.

So I would think the rating for the WM Ultralite in Europe for a man(see above) is -9°C/15°F, which is even better than the rating in the States.

I remember, that the WM Apache was tested to the EN 13537 and was one of the few (if any) sleeping bags, which came out warmer than they have been rated before.

I hope I wrote that somewhat understandable, not the easiest to write for an Austrian.

my 2c
Harald

PostedFeb 8, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Ah yes, great point Harald. I forgot that the Comfort rating was specified for a woman, whilst the Limit was for a man.

Comfort – the temperature at which a standard woman can expect to sleep comfortably in a relaxed position.
Lower Limit – the temperature at which a standard man can sleep for eight hours in a curled position without waking.

Note that the comfort rating also allows sleeping in a "relaxed position", whereas the lower limit requires sleeping in a curled position to conserve warmth. So for a man to sleep in a relaxed position you might have to knock off a degree or two… which is still a bit better than the WM 20F rating.

All in all, it agrees with the experiences of most users on this forum.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...