Topic

Day trip emergency gear suggestions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Day trip emergency gear suggestions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I'm trying to put together a gear list for day trips for emergency situations only with the UL attitude in mind.

Scenario: Solo trip. A day of fly fishing where you're not near your base camp. Now a broken ankle at 4pm with several hours of light left and poor mobility and plenty of pain. What would you want in your daypack/fishing vest to get through the night?

Let's exclude any form of electronic communication devices and, in honor of Mike, no toilet paper.

Also, night temp down to 45-50F with 50% chance of rain.

Unknown abc

@edude

I like your creativity ;)

1)a good first aid kit w/ plenty of painkillers
    2)a Bic lighter and/or matches and magnesium firestarter
    3)one synthetic jacket(optional)
    4)if the weather suggests, raingear
    5)(not like I ever carry one, but)survival blanket

at least 50lbs. of survival and first aid knowledge in your head.

-Evan

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I carry the classic essentials:

Map
    Compass
    Pocket knife
    Sunglasses
    Whistle
    Extra clothing
    Extra food
    Sunglasses
    Bug repellent
    Sunscreen
    First Aid kit
    Lighting
    Fire starting items
    Water container and treatment chemicals

I like the Adventure Medical Thermolite bivy and a poncho for more protection. If you want to fake that, a large garbage bag can act like a 1/2 bivy, raincoat, or shelter roof waterproofing.

It will all easily fit in a hydration pack, giving you a good water supply at the same time. You could get by with a fanny pack if you wanted.

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

First aid kit with pain meds
    bandana to cut strips for splinting ankle
    Gossamer Gear nightlite torso pad (serve as sit pad during day)
    light weight tarp
    trekking poles
    rain jacket/pants
    light weight insulated jacket
    extra food and water
    photon light

Given the circumstances, this is what I would want to be comfortable. Would I have it all with me? Probably not in conditions where I would expect the overnight low's at 45-50.

Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Pamela,
    Does your last statement suggest that your list is overkill or not enough?

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

I probably would not have the GG nightlite torso pad or the tarp with me, and possibly not the insulated jacket if I were on a warm weather trip – which the 45-50 nightime temperature suggests.

On a dayhike in these conditions, I would likely have a worthless emergency blanket instead. ;^)

Along with some firestarter and matches.

Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

I've never had to use one and I hope to never have to use one but are the thermal emergency blankets functional at all?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

E-Blankets are not useless. Used properly they can work just dandy – but you have to have it so it won't fly away in the wind and exposing you to cold air.

If you use a backpack that is top loading it can be used as a knee high bivy. Not great, but it will protect you.

A sit pad is a necessity in my eyes. It will stop/slow the drain of body warmth if you have to sit on the ground.

I carry the same gear when dayhiking as I do backpacking – the only difference is I carry a sleeping bag, pad and shelter on overnighters. :-) Something to consider!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

To survive you need to remain healthy, dry, warm and hydrated until rescued (hence the top five on list)

Medical- ID tag, first aid kit, knowledge to improvise splint
    Shelter- waterproof coverage in form of rain gear, bivy or tarp
    Fire- lighter, matches
    Hydration- container, water purification tablets
    Communication- safety plan left with family member, whistle, fire for signaling
    Navigation- map and compass, flashlight
    Nutrition- food
    Insulation- insulated jacket, hat, gloves (most won't have their sleeping bag with them huh); minimal ground insulation in form of sit pad sounds good too
    Sun Protection- sunblock, other coverage for exposed skin
    Tools- knife or scissors

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Medical ID tag

Name:
    Address:
    Phone:
    Next of Kin: spouse, adult child, parent, sibling (usu in that order)
    Family Physician:
    Birthdate:
    Height/Weight:
    Insurance:
    Medical History: significant history such as diabetes
    Medications: blood pressure pills, etc.
    Last Tetanus Shot:
    Allergies: drugs, bee sting, etc.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Did you tell someone where you were going and when you'd be back? If not you might be out there a long time.

Given your scenario and that I Did tell someone my plans, I drop into Wait and Signal mode. Locate near water, in a clearing, gather wood, fashion a shelter, get comfortable.

At a minimum I typically take 3 bars or more, a water container, a sit pad, some sort of warm top, a hat, often raingear, and the package below. It weighs 10 ounces and contains

WaitSignal

1) a space blanket Bivy – completely enclosing, with hood
    2) a lighter
    3) hexamine tables for fire starting
    4) a whistle and ear plugs
    5) a signal mirror
    6) two military smoke signals
    7) a Swiss Army knife, with a saw
    8) 12 high potency pain killers, per my Dr.

It is in a reinforced waterproofed ziplock and is never broken into except for an emergency.

Michael Wands

@walksoftly

Locale: Piney Woods

Note to RiverRunner:

You have just written down my normal 3-season gear kit!!
    But, I guess that is the point – if you pack on the light side then your gear is never really a burden due to weight or size.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Mr Park queried: "I've never had to use one and I hope to never have to use one but are the thermal emergency blankets functional at all?"

You should try one before you need it!

The mylar ones tear easily, but they will cut the wind and reflect heat. The Adventure Medical blankets are tougher, and more expensive, heavier and a bit larger. I put one in a Seal a Meal bag and sucked the air out, reducing the size by about 50% and the Seal a Meal bag is much tougher.

They can be used like a blanket, or placed behind you as you face a fire. I think they have good worth as a shelter roof– build a simple lean-to, add brush for a roof, add a space blanket and then another layer of brush for a waterproof shelter. A large garbage bag will do about the same for shelter-building.

The Thermolite bivies are about as good as any bivy on the short term, but not breathable, so the foot vent has real purpose.

If you have an extra layer of clothing like you're SUPPOSED TO, the bivy sack style space blanket or the Thermolite bivy will get you through a long night. You will wish for your down sleeping bag, but they will keep the wind off you.
    I think they make a good paring with a poncho shelter. The dawn will find you tired. grumpy and cold— but alive.

If you are stuck out below treeline, I think you can forget about leave no trace principles and build yourself a nice fire and insulate yourself with boughs. You just need that nice Swiss Army knife with a saw and some sort of fire starter.

If it is in the dead of Summer and fire danger is high, it gets iffy— like if you don't you might be really cold, but if you do, you might get more attention than you want after burning down a few hundred acres of forest. Use your head!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

A few weeks ago my boyfriend and I decided we'd do some crazy off-trail adventure. We weren't sure when or if we could make it to our destination, and if we did, we weren't sure how long it would take to return home. So we put Emergency blankets and headlamps in with our normal day-hiking gear, which only included lunch and a jacket and water. There was a slight chance of rain so we also knew where to find some caves. I think I added a hat, too.

John Sixbey

@wolfeye

For trips that hint at being an overnighter, I'd pack my normal day hiking gear, plus:
    – poncho shelter (instead of raingear)
    – spectra cord, a few stakes
    Gossamer Gear torso pad or a thin 3/4 pad
    – lightweight quilt, like a Bozeman Mountain Works 60
    – ~1-liter titanium pot & a spoon
    – some food to boil

I had to spend an extra night out once. A friend and I took a trip to a mountain by boat, and when we got back the tide had gone out, leaving the boat high & dry. I was glad we'd come prepared.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Dennis, I pulled out my regular fishing vest (I don't take it hiking) to weigh it (I've never done that before)- It is 7 lbs 3 ozs definitely not even Lightweight. ( my base weight is about this same number!) I do walk up to 5 miles when day fishing in remote drive in locations.
    Besides every fly I can possibly carry in 12 fly boxes, extra glasses, Thermometer, and an assortment of stuff I don't even remember. I looked in the back pocket and found-
    First aid kit
    Duct tape- on popsicle stick
    Garbage bag- large size
    Matches
    Fire starter
    Mylar EM blanket
    Elsewhere is vest-
    Knife
    Compass
    Sunglasses
    Headlamp
    Whistle
    Clif bar
    I also carry
    Katadyn water purifier bottle
    I think I carry all the "Hiking Essentials" as well as the kitchen sink- I think I have every fly that a trout might eat.

Now for my backpacking kit- remember you have a base camp, this is a day excursion. It would be impracticable to bring:
    Torso pads, poncho tarp (can’t fish while wearing it- I fish in the rain), quilt, pots, spoons, bivy’s, etc.

I take 2 fly boxes, gink, nippers, hemostat, 3x,4x, 5x and 6x tippet, 3-4 hand tied leaders, very small box of split shot, 2 strike indicators. I’m trying out different ways to carry the above. Right now I use a small codura pouch, but it is a little heavy for what it does. I’d like to find something that can carry the stuff and hang on my lanyard.
    I also carry my regular hiking essentials kit that is always with me on hikes- depending on the weather (50%) I would take a rain jacket. You should be covered with this in an emergency.
    I think Greg has a good kit though I might drop the smoke signals and the saw.

In any emergency situation Knowledge is the most important thing you take with you- knowing how to survive in the wilds is can save you pounds of “things”.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I carry a stove/pot/lighter/matches and utensil on all trips….and a windscreen, drinking cup and a cozy. And a bag of a couple small meals that I rotate through to keep fresh. And tea bags and some honey.

A long time ago I realized that if something happened I wanted to have hot tea and dinner ;-) Being civilized helps bad things better – it calms one down emotionally.

I am more than sure that my daypack scares some of my hiking partners. We pull up for lunch and it can look like a trail sale going on if I unload my pack.

I carry rain pants/jacket year round – they will add a wind barrier if needed. I also carry a thin/light beanie and liner gloves year round.

charles freeland

@cmfreeland

Locale: Great Lakes

I just stumble in and read some of these entries…
    In 2004 I was staying at a friends hunting cabin in northeren Wisconson and was the last to be leaving on the last day there.
    I said good bye to everyone as they pulled out at first light and decided to take a half day hike before leaving.
    About 3 hours out I was rockhopping over a stream and slipped, falling into the stream and blowing out my knee.

The contents of the hydro pack I was wearing,
    Water in the bladder,
    a small can of toasted almonds,a Snickers bar
    a rain jacket and a victronox knife and an old Boy scout compass…..
    and a Mountain Rescue Council, All Purpose Storm Kit.
    the thing was purchased back in 1984 and had been tossed into a number of fanny or day packs through the years. (Many of my buddies kind of joked about it.)
    it contains matches, a candle, a sugar cube,a salt pack, a tea bag, a beef bouillon cube, snare wire,whistle, signal mirror and a plastic bag intended as a tube tent…and the tin it all came pack in….
    I spent 2 nights out trying to get back to the cabin, often hopping on one leg and in great pain.
    The content of that little Storm Kit tin and the can from the almonds made the ordeal much easier.
    I now carry an updated 10 Essentials kit,
    and a poncho and mylor bivi bag in my daypack when ever I walk or bike onto a trail….oh ya and a small pack of Vicodin, you never know.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools