I don't think I need the whole Snowpeak repair kit. Where can I find a replacement o-ring? If I go to a hardware store how will I recognize the correct part?
Or does the part just need to be treated with something?
Topic
Become a member to post in the forums.
I don't think I need the whole Snowpeak repair kit. Where can I find a replacement o-ring? If I go to a hardware store how will I recognize the correct part?
Or does the part just need to be treated with something?
iirc there should be two o-rings. The o-ring grease may have migrated away from the center where the pressurised fule goes up. Redistributing (smearing) the grease back in place may solve the problem. Don't hold me too it though.
Hi Jeremy
The standard O-ring which goes inside the thread is a BS011. There may be an American equivalent number, but I don't know it. You should be able to buy these at engineering shops, maybe some auto spares shops, or over the web.
These O-rings come in nitrile and Viton. I prefer the Viton as it has a higher temperature rating, but it will be a few cents dearer. (Big deal!) But nitrile will work fine.
Yes, you should put a little silicone grease on the O-ring every now and then. However, it is not critical.
Cheers
Sean, thanks silicone grease is helping the original o-ring.
Rodger, Great stove faq on bushwalking. I tried a #6 o-ring which is supposed to be very close. Not a match, but could be the quality. The re-greased original is doing OK for now but I liked your suggestion to keep a spare. I'll continue looking.
I am listing a wbt on the gear swap.
Jeremy,
It's always best to use OEM parts.
That said, head to the hardware store that has bins of small parts or a great selection of faucet parts. Look for O-rings and start comparing. Most O-rings come in standard diameters and cross-sections. Often times there is a sizing guide.
Be sure to mark your's so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.
Become a member to post in the forums.