Topic

BPL ul60 and ul90 quilts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion BPL ul60 and ul90 quilts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Hello out there

I am looking for feedback on these quilts.Can you help me?

Thanks

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Hi Jim,

You can find a reviews of the Cocoon 90 Quilt here:

http://tinyurl.com/djgmwe

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I have an 11.6oz, red, BPL 90 quilt, size regular.

I'm 5'9", 160lbs.

I find the cut of the quilt fine for sleeping on my back, or stomach. I find the quilt a little restrictive through the foot tube for curling up into a fetal position, I'd prefer the tube be 6-10 inches shorter. I mostly sleep on my side, and have generally had no problems getting full coverage with this quilt.

I pair my quilt with montbell thermawrap pants, and an REI spruce run jacket. I like to cook and hang around outside in the evenings, so I find this combination better for me than a heavier quilt. With this combination I've been comfortable in temperatures where the overnight minimum reaches the low 30Fs. I use a POE ether-thermo6 short pad, and foam from gossamer gear under my heels for insulation.

I would estimate that this quilt is designed for temperatures around 45-50F, perhaps using long underwear for the 40s. Below that you will want to think about adding in some insulated clothing to get comfortable sleep.

Unknown abc

@edude

Thanks, Sam!

I too have been wanting more info on the 90 quilt.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Any experience/feedback on how roomy the large size is for a winter top bag?
    Since the bottom portion is sewn, I'm concerned about wheteher its roomy enough to go over the foot of a higher loft down bag without too much compression.

Scott White

@sdwhitey

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Craig:

The review in the link posted by Sam above may answer your question.

Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

Size regular
    Its pretty minimal. I find it constrictive myslef and for me its near impossible to easily turn on my side without exposing my back. I have used it on 6 nights and shivered on 5. I myself would not take it near 30 degrees. One time I did and survived but just marginally I would say. I am thinking about cutting open the foot and using it as a blanket.

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

I would say the 60 is only good to about 50 degrees or so. It's pretty minimal and if you think you are going to be pushing it's limits…you probably are. I would use it for summer when it only gets down to 60s or so at night…just enough that you want something to cover yourself up.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I should write a full review of my UL 60 for the reviews section, but have not done so yet. I'll state briefly my feelings of this product here as the original poster is hoping to retrieve info about both the 60 and the 90.

The Cocoon UL 60 is about as minimal a quilt as can be attained on the market today. If you are considering sleeping in full-on summer conditions in low to mid elevations you will find this quilt more than sufficient in any temperature commonly found in the summer time.

If you are considering sleeping in conditions or a location (such as hollow or near a lake at the bottom of a mountain drainage) where temperatures are going to drop to colder than the average lows related to that area the quilt may push your limits.

I take the UL 60 quilt along with the UL 60 Vest and a Gossamer Gear Thinlite as my primary sleeping system for my SUL (sub five lb.) trips and I've shivered through a couple nights with it. The trips I've shivered through were at eight or nine thousand feet above sea level with limited site selection options.

Take these words as a means of basing your judgement on what kind of experiences you might have. Take into consideration that I'm a cold sleeper (a 25 deg quilt keeps me warm to about 30 deg) so what might make me cold at 50 will make others cold at 30.

David Ure

@familyguy

"I've shivered through a couple nights with it"

I appreciate the review and the quest for a sub 5 pound base weight but this sounds completely dangerous. Is this what going SUL is all about?

I backpack in the high rocky mountains where weather can vary 40F from trailhead to camp. I personally can't trust something that might just get me through the night. Fitfull sleep and you are not going to perform in any meaningful fashion the next day, are you?

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Locale: UK

Sam are you with this set up always sleeping in a bivy bag as well. This would add warmth. Quilts intrigue me. I am tall and have read others who are tall saying they get cold with quilts. I ain't sure they would be for me, but am very interested in hearing how people get on with them with out using a bivy.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Martin,

Unless I'm in a hammock, I always use a bivy with my quilt. I'm 6'2", but that's not why I use the bivy (my height never has been an issue). I switch from side to side and to my back, so I'm prone to temporary drafts if I don't use my Equinox bivy.

All that said, I love my No Sniveller from Jacks R Better. In fact, unless temps are too warm for it it's my go-to insulation. I am going to make a lighter quilt w/
    Climashield XP 2.5oz – should be similar to the BPL in some respects.

Todd

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Locale: UK

Todd that is helpful. You said .."so I'm prone to temporary drafts if I don't use my Equinox bivy".. due to turning on your side etc. I sleep on my side and use a tent. Wet in the UK and so I don't go the tarp route. I would not be using a bivy. So maybe the quilt would not work. Then in summer it would be great if it was hot. They are light and pack small. That appeals. Thanks for the feed back.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Martin,

In a tent, I've found using a quilt no different than waking up occasionally in my bed at home – when I roll over and have to adjust the covers a bit. No bother at all.

So try opening your bag one night in a tent and use as a quilt to see if you like it. If it works, then take the plunge!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools