Topic

Terroc 330 Replacement Roclite 295 or 305?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Tony Wong BPL Member
PostedFeb 6, 2009 at 12:44 am

I have been using Terroc 330's for a couple of years and love them- the heel fits great, but I have wide feet and could do with a bit more cushioning.

I am considering trying out the Roclite 295 based on BPL's 2007 State of the Market Report that the Terroc 330 and the 295 have the same Last, but the 305 is supposed to have more cushioning.

Anyone make the transition from the Terroc 330 to either of these shoes have some thoughts on what I should do?

Thanks for your thoughts.

P.S. Information on me. I wear size 8 and wear hard plastic arch supports, am 142 lbs, like to travel 15 miles per day or more, and I hike on established trails in the Sierras- combination of granite and packed dirt.

-Tony

PostedFeb 6, 2009 at 3:04 am

Tony,
I've made the switch to Roclite 295's last year and I've been very happy with my choice. The fit is the same as the Terroc's while I prefer the sole of the Roclite which seems to be more durable. The extra cushioning is nice although at the cost of a little less 'contact' with the trail.

Jonathan Ryan BPL Member
PostedFeb 6, 2009 at 4:45 am

hey Tony,
I have used the 295's, 305's, 315's and 310's and the fit of the 295 is very much like the Flyroc/Terroc. Def more cushion in the 295 but it still remains very flexible. The only downside to the 295 is that with the sticky runner sole you will get less durability. I am 6'4" 195lbs and only got around 200 miles in them.

Mark Verber BPL Member
PostedFeb 6, 2009 at 6:55 pm

I am with Jonathan… I think the 295 will give you a Terroc/Flyroc like fit (the 305 has a more narrow footbox) + more cushion. Downside is the sticky sole is less durable. I am switching back and forth between the 295 and the 310 flyroc. I think I prefer the 95 on consistently hard surfaces due to the extra cushion, the flyroc everywhere else. The 295 seems to fall between the 310 and the 330 as far as stiffness goes.

–mark

Tony Wong BPL Member
PostedFeb 7, 2009 at 2:44 am

Once again, this is why I love this group of people and BPL.

Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts and taking the time to reply.

Definitely going to give the 295s a try when my Terroc wear out.

-Tony

Ken BPL Member
PostedFeb 7, 2009 at 7:55 am

I have tried all 3 models and have settled on the Roclite 295 as my preferred hiking shoe. The 330s and 295s seem to be virtually identical in fit but have a different "feel" on my feet. The 295s feel more flexible while the soles of the 330s have a stiffer, more "plate-like" feel. This may be due to the use of softer rubber and a different shank design on the 295s. The 330s have slightly thicker padding around the ankles. In general, the 330s feel a little more comfortable when I put them on but the 295s feel more comfortable when I'm walking.

I don't like the 305s as much as the 295s and 330s as they are narrower in the toes.

Frankly, I think the differences in midsole cushioning are slight between the various models and are outweiged by other factors such as flexibility and type of rubber on the sole.

The 295s supposedly have more cushioning than the 330s but the softer, more flexible sole also means you feel the rocks underfoot a little more.

I have used the 295s extensively in the Sierra, on and off trail, and they have worked well for me. However, I only get about 200 miles out of a pair. By then the sole lugs are generally becoming worn and the soles starting to separate where the foot bends. Also, the webbing loops are a weak point and need to be improved. One or more loops have broken on every pair I've had. When that happens I use a different lacing pattern or poke a hole through the upper next to the broken loop.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...