Topic

Condensation problems in Vapr Bivy. Suggestions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Condensation problems in Vapr Bivy. Suggestions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

As soon as you impede the diffusion of water vapor with a cold surface, you will get condensation. In general, this means a bivy bag will cause condensation. So why use one? Group think.

I sleep on a Therm-a-rest mattress with a sleeping bag arranged over me as a quilt. The hood goes over my head. The Therm-a-rest surface stays warm enough that there is no condensation. The sleeping bag breathes happily and the outer surface stays above freezing. The hoar frost condenses on the inside of the tent I use. But it is far enough away that it stays frozen. I scrape it off in the morning (with some care!) and throw it out the door. This works fine for a week at a time.

I find it does help sometimes to throw my bag over the tent in the late evening sun (if there is any!): the small amount of heat from the sun plus the very dry air helps dry the bag.

Anonymous

Roger, what night time air temperatures are you camping in? Would this happen with even colder temperatures as many of the Forum participants experience in the western mountains of the USA and Canada, especially during winter? Or, would the outer region of a bag’s insulation be the point at which the water would condense and freeze? In this case, could a bivy help to raise the temperature of the outer region of the bag sufficiently to prevent this condensation and freezing within the bag as Vick Hines suggests? You also mentioned tent as opposed to tarp. What differences might this account for? Even the highly educated, resourceful Ryan Jordan finds a use for a bivy – is it only when he uses a quilt and not a sleeping bag? Are the bivy’s functions only related to alleviating wind (quilt use) and rain issues (quilt and bag use)?

Jeffery Price
    BPL Member

@jefferyrprice

In the specific case that precipitated my first post, I was not breathing inside the bivy. In other cases where this has been a problem for me, I have indeed been breathing in the bivy (with bug net and elevated hood). However, this specific case was the worst I’ve experienced. By “worst” I mean most uncomfortable (because it was the coldest), though there may have been more moisture other times.

Regards,
    Jeff

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

If you do without a bivy, the condensation often then forms in the sleeping bag itself, which can be
    a bit harder to dry. You will notice frosty hard patches, usually near the face opening and especially anyplace you have dried out wet gear (socks etc.)

In cold conditions, I don’t skimp on insulation underneath me and always use a full length pad
    to keep my bag out of any moisture that collects
    from whatever source inside the bivy
    or tent. Even a 1/4″ of closed cell foam can make
    all the difference if your tent is forming puddles
    in the low spots from a big downpour.

I use my bivy to contain extra
    gear – boot shells, skins, etc. that I don’t want full
    of snow- so I put these along side of me to keep
    my bag away from the edges of the waterproof bottom and to keep me centered on my pad.

Again the bell is rung for VBL’s if you are traveling
    in cold weather for several days.

A hot water bottle
    will force out more moisture too and is very luxurious.

I don’t always carry a bivy, but if you anticipate
    bugs, high winds, or spindrift, a bivy is one of the
    lightest ways to deal well with these problems.
    I have tried using just a quilt with a tarp on sub
    zero trips and found I couldn’t keep the gaps
    closed well enough- though it seems to work fine
    in warmer weather.

I vividly remember camping one November at Hart
    Mountain Antelope Refuge in Oregon. Temps above freezing and winds about 70 mph. Tried to sleep under the stars in -20F rated polarguard bags. The wind just blew thru and even wearing our parkas wasn’t enough. Just crawling into a wind proof bivy
    and suddenly we were warm. We were able to sleep with our bags unzipped and us half out. I have had
    similar, but not as dramatic, experiances in Joshua
    Tree in the winter.

S. Garen Szablewski

@adkman

This may have already been addressed but if you put your sleeping pad inside your bivy bag you will find less condensation forming under most conditions.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools