Topic

My shoulder season kit…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists My shoulder season kit…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Michael Landman

@malndman

Locale: Central NC, USA

Here is my basic shoulder season kit. There are a few caveats:

I have injured my back, several times, once seriously. I need all weight carried by my hips. I do not have my shoulder straps touching my shoulders. I can slip a finger or two between the strap an me at the top of my shoulders. I have not found a frameless pack that can do that. That is why I currently use the Atmos.

I also need a real pad. I have tried Mt. Washington style and NiteLite and could not get a good night's sleep. I could 30 years ago, but no more, alas! I am looking forward to the NeoAir pad. My emergency and First aid kits have what I consider needed, they are not up for debate.

I would like to lighten my shelter, but do not like bivies that cover my head, been there done that MANY years ago. I just do not like the confinement. Can I use a tarp without? How about if my bag has good DWR? A tarp and bug tent?

With that said, input please…

Item Weight (oz)
    Ospry Atmos 50 48.6
    Pack Cover 2.6
    Full Bathroom kit 5.6
    FF Hyperion Vest 7.8
    Hat – Fleece beany 2.2
    Hurricane Rain Pants 8.4
    Marmot Precip Jacket 12.4
    Wool socks & liners 4.7
    Emergency Kit 5.0
    FirstAid Kit 6.4
    Platy hose kit 2.2
    1.8 L. Platy 1.1
    1.8 L. Platy 1.1
    Aquamira 3.4
    Solo Cooking Kit 11.4
    3 AAA Li. batteries 2.4
    Compass 1.0
    Stuff Sacks 3 2.0
    Tikka XP Light 3.4
    Lunar Solo,
    foot print & stakes 31.8
    InsulMax Air Pad 21.6
    Montbel SS Hugger #3 24.8
    Total Weight Carried 209.8 (13.11 lbs)

Boots NB M909 24.6
    Convertable pants 10.8
    Hat – Sun Protection 2.4
    Hiking Poles, REI CF 11.8
    Smartwool & Liners 4.7
    Sun shirt 9.8
    REI LW bottoms 6.0
    ZeoLine MW Shirt 6.2
    Zeo-Line Undies 3.2
    Total Weight Worn 79.5 (4.97 lbs)

Skin out load 289.3 oz (18.08 lbs)

thanks…

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

20 ounces for your rain gear is a place where you could lighten up a little. How about a driducks jacket instead of the Precip?

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

You could go with a large tarp (your height + 3 feet square) a la Ray Jardine and not use a bivy. That size of tarp would allow you to be protected from spray, and you could pitch the tarp edges to the ground to protect against wind. That said, The Lunar Solo is a great-looking shelter, although I have no personal experience with it. It is also bugproof, and that would

As for bags with a tarp, you could go with a synthetic quilt a la MLD XP quilt that would not have any seams on the outer shell surface – this decreases the amount of spots water can get in.

Michael Landman

@malndman

"20 ounces for your rain gear is a place where you could lighten up a little. How about a Driducks jacket instead of the Precip?"

I do mostly desert hiking, and a good bit of off trail. I am concerned about the durability. Are Reed pants tough enough to survive prickly, sharp, nasty desert plants? What are bush whacking rated wind/rain jackets?

Michael Landman

@malndman

"You could go with a large tarp (your height + 3 feet square) a la Ray Jardine and not use a bivy. That size of tarp would allow you to be protected from spray, and you could pitch the tarp edges to the ground to protect against wind."

I have no experience with tarps, Would something beaked, a la MLD Patrol, work? They are real light.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

An MLD Patrol Shelter would give you good protection and would be an excellent choice without going completely to a tarp. I went with the Grace Solo tarp in Spectralite and it has worked out well for me when I went from TarpTent to tarp for my primary shelter.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Michael,
    Looks to me like a solid list – and that you are at a point where spending money on lighter gear will provide lower and lower weight savings (we've all been there).

But…
    5.6 oz. bathroom kit?
    3.4 oz. Aqua Mira (can you repackage this, seems like a lot?)
    3.4 Tikka XP (I have one but use it only for extended night trips or winter weather – IMO, overkill for most – but you already have it, so is it worth replacing for a few ounces?)
    2.4 Batteries (Spares for the headlamp?)

Shelter, if you don't mind floorless, the MLD Duomid in Silnylon is ~165 and 15 oz or so. Sized for 2 people and full coverage so no need for a bivy.

just my $.02

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools