Topic

1443 tyvek for inner winter tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 1443 tyvek for inner winter tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

I'm considering making an inner fabric tent for winter use for the MLD DuoMid. Has anyone used 1443 tyvek for such an application? It's ~ 1.18 ounces/yd^2 (~40 g/m^2), breathable, and water resistant. Not sure how much less breathable it would be compared to thin nylon with a DWR? what do you think?

Also some kitebuilding companies have 0.75 osy ripstop fabrics… not sure if they are coated… at that weight I don't think they would be. Think this is getting to light for inner tents?

example:
    Part 34xx54 – 3/4 oz. Ripstop Nylon – 54" wide. General Purpose kite cloth, Grade 'A' only. Price: $6.85/yd

LINK HERE

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Just an update:

1) e-mail the kite building site and they said all of their ripstop was coated so that it would not be breathable… darn…

2) e-mailed AYCE at Thru-Hiker and he agreed that momentum would not be a good choice for an inner tent

3)sounds like the 1.1 osy ripstop nylon is the most frequently used…

4) anyone have any thoughts about 1443 tyvek as an inner tent?

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

"2) e-mailed AYCE at Thru-Hiker and he agreed that momentum would not be a good choice for an inner tent"

What's wrong with momentum as an inner tent? It's been recommended in other threads.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Nia – not exactly sure why not. Here's the quote from AYCE over at Thru-Hiker: "It would not be a good choice. Momentum-MR is a soft-goods shell material for things like apparel and sleeping bags."

Brad Groves in THISthread had suggested that since momentum was calendared it may have trouble with condensation.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> e-mail the kite building site and they said all of their ripstop was coated
    Yes, a LOT of very light synthetic fabrics have an acrylic coating **just to keep the weave together**.
    Caution: acrylic is NOT a waterproof coating, just a 'stick it all together' coating. However, it does tend to reduce any airflow to nearly zero. Good for parachutes maybe and for kites; not good for most outdoors gear.

> momentum would not be a good choice for an inner tent
    Why? Yes, Momentum is calendared on one surface, and that will reduce the air flow somewhat. But it IS used for sleeping bags where some air movement is crucial to letting the water vapour out. Also it has a a good DWR on it. So I cannot see why it would not make quite a good inner tent fabric. It may be a little more expensive, but in the quantities used by an MYOG enthusiast the differential is trivial.

> 1443 tyvek as an inner tent
    Welll, one thing is for sure: it will NOT breathe nearly as well as Momentum! A non-breathing inner tent … with me inside it?

> 1.1 osy ripstop nylon is the most frequently used.
    Well, yes. I use 32 gsm (0.92 oz) fabric from Carrington Mills (UK) for my inner tents: it has worked excellently. If I had Momentum fabric I would be happy to use it.

But I would NOT use Tyvek: it does not pass air. Could be deadly!

Cheers

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Thanks Roger! Appreciate the info…

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I thought tyvek was breathable, which is why the Sublite was made from it. Am I confused?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Joe

No, you aren't as confused as much as I am guilty of poor expression. Tyvek is breathable in the sense it passes water vapour; it is not air-porous.
    I have edited my posting.

Cheers

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

For the record, what I ineloquently tried to distinguish was that, given two completely equivalent fabrics, one calendared and one not, the non-calendared fabric would breathe better. I have a couple things made in Momentum and agree that it does breathe reasonably well… I do wonder about things such as tear strength and overall durability of the material if used in a tent, but then I don't think those are valid concerns given the state of the market technology. Roger, is the .92 oz fabric from Carrington that you use calendared? I don't think it's a deal-breaker one way or the other, but we might as well consider all aspects of proposed materials…

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

All the woven nylons being discussed are
    calandared.

Just some are done at a higher temperature.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Brian,

1443 Tyvek is a poor choice relative to ripstop nylon for an inner tent. Compared with most textile fabrics, the air permeability of Tyvek Types 10 and 14 is low. Approximately 43x more air or water vapor will pass through a ripstop nylon inner tent versus the average Tyvek inner tent.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Brad

> Roger, is the .92 oz fabric from Carrington that you use calendared?
    Not as far as I could see.

Cheers

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Thanks all – very informative thread… Looks like it has boiled down to 1.1osy ripstop nylon as the best choice (since it's commonly available in the US).

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Hey, Roger-
    I think I can almost see you wince when I mention this, but…

Silk came up in another thread again. I know how much you like natural fibers in general, and that you have to replace your silk bag liners periodically. But how do you think a silk would do sewn into a tent canopy? Assuming you didn't sew a single layer simple seam :) Would there really be too much tention (sorry, spelling intentional) for the silk to hold up? I would think that as long as you dry the tent thoroughly before storage it would last decently well. Going from Mark's calcs, 4.5mm silk should come in at ~0.58 ounces and quite breathable…

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Brad

You haven't defined the problem yet. Are you making an inner tent for 3-season comfort, or as a bug shelter, or to keep a howling snow storm out?

4.5 mm silk is rather porous …

Cheers

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Hmmm. Good question. Brian, what do you want your inner to do? Is it primarily bug protection? Or are you trying to keep out blowing sand or spindrift?

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

My goal is to prevent spindrift/major gusts from entering the sleeping area, increase the warmth a bit, and avoiding the need for a bivy. When I figure out how to export a google sketchup drawing as a jpg I'll post my plans for the inner shelter.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Here is my concept for an inner tent for the DuoMid. 7'2" long 4' deep, 5" tall silnylon floor, 1.1osy ripstop nylon walls, 4'3" from peak to floor, vents at each end and at top, triangular silnylon piece zipped between doors to make cooking porch (when it's nice out).

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

oops… image didn't load… trying again:

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

from the side:

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Brian

> My goal is to prevent spindrift/major gusts from entering the sleeping area,
    Hum … that leaves me a little doubtful about the 4.5 mm silk. The stuff is not designed for that sort of application. It is more suited to an elegant but diaphanous negligee …

I guess you could try to make the inner tent such that you could fairly easily replace the upper part of the inner tent. A single seam line between upper part and floor maybe. After all, field testing is what counts.

Cheers

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Brian

I see that you have vertical bathtub walls. very good – but how are you going to keep the bathtub in place inside the tent, and how are you going to keep the bathtub walls upright? All possible, and I have done that, but what are your plans?

Cheers

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

I was thinking of sewing in some 5 inch tall small diameter tubes (aluminum, Ti, CF, etc) on the uprights and then tie them on top and bottom with guyline to the four corners of the tarp. Something like this:

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

If you want to go down the CF rod path, visit some Kite web sites. They have thin CF rod, very light, quite cheap. You really do not need large diameter.

Cheers

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Aw shucks, now you're makin it too hard.

When I've made inner tents for pyramids, I like to
    increase the floor dimensions a tad and continue
    the angle of the upper tent liner with the coated
    "bathtub" side piece.

Run a cord under the fly out to the peg to keep it taut.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools