Topic

Body Glide vs. Hydropel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Body Glide vs. Hydropel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

I have an upcoming trip which is going to be a little longer than I typically do. As a result, I’ve been thinking about how my feet will fare as they aren’t as durable as I’d like them to be.

I have both the Body Glide and Hydropel products and I was hoping to get opinions as to which is best, if I should bring both or just one, and how often I should apply it. I have used the Body Glide before and found it to be acceptable. I have no long term experience with Hydropel. Weight is a concern and I'd rather not bring a stick of Body Glide if I could just squirt a bit of the Hydropel into something lighter. I don’t plan on using it on other parts of my body…although that may change if something unexpected happens.

This will be for an April trip on the Appalachian Trail. I typically wear Darn Tough socks with Inov-8 GTX 318’s.

Thanks.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

I did a week long late April trip on the AT in Massachusetts last year. The trail was very wet (think walking in a stream), and my feet were never really dry. I used Hydropel, and had no blisters. I believe the Hydropel helped.

I stored my Hydropel in a BPL balm jar, and used less than half of that for the week. I found it much easier to apply than the Bodyglide stick. I tried to apply it when my feet were as dry as possible.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I haven't tried Hydropel so can't comment on that issue. With Body Glide, I cut a little piece from the stick and put it inside a small plastic bag. Worked just fine–in fact, the one bag lasted through 2 one-week trips, so I obviously cut off too big a piece!

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

I also haven't tried Hydropel, but I use and like Body Glide. I package it by using an empty Chapstick tube and repacking it with the Body Glide. Very light – the tube, full weighs about .4 oz.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Never use either one.

Cheers

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I've used both and I find hydropel better for my feet, body glide better for underarms and undercarriage.

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

My favorite is SportSlick.In addition to protecting against blisters and chaffing, it also helps with the healing process.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools