Topic

ULA Circuit

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
PostedFeb 3, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Here is my Circuit that arrived today. It is exactly what I was hopping for. All loaded up except food and water it weighs 15.5lbs. That includes the very heavy Garcia bear canister and my 3+ lb sleeping bag. The lighter WM summer lite will be used to save weight and space. {the Mountain Hardware bag is large} I did not really pack it well, I just tossed everything in.
ULA Circuit

PostedFeb 3, 2009 at 4:20 pm

Looks great Mike.

I've been tempted by a Circuit for a while. Still tossing up between that an an SMD Traveler.

I'm still not sure whether I'm judging the size correctly. How tall is the pack when loaded up as in your picture, and how wide? If you have a tape measure I'd appreciate it if you could try measuring it for me.

Cheers, A

PostedFeb 3, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Ashley
I have not seen the Traveller, but if you stay within the "load guide" (25-35 lbs) it is very comfortable to usable. Keep in mind that I like comfort.

Franco

PostedFeb 3, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Thanks Franco. I've heard so many good reports on ULA packs that I'm pretty sure comfort won't be an issue.

The only reason I'm considering the Traveler as an alternative is the panel-loading ability. I don't have much use for panel-loading when hiking, but I'll be using the pack to travel overseas (where I do most of my hiking). I prefer panel-loading for general travelling (sight-seeing etc), because I have more "stuff" and often need to get access to it… it sucks to have to unpack a top-loader to get something buried deep in the pack. With a panel-loader you can leave most of your gear in the pack when you arrive at a new place for the night, and just pick out the things you want.

I have a long torso though, not sure how well the Traveler would work. The Circuit comes in a dedicated size long, which I'm sure would be great. Maybe I should get a Circuit and just slash a hole in the side to make my own panel loader ;-)

PostedFeb 3, 2009 at 5:37 pm

For that the panel loader makes a lot of sense. You are in luck because Brian has been working on one of those since 1999, so it should be sensational by the time it comes out.
Ron has a pretty good return policy :
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/returns.asp
so maybe that and a phone call/ E Mail to Ron with your measurement will solve your problem.

Franco

PostedFeb 3, 2009 at 5:52 pm

You are in luck because Brian has been working on one of those since 1999

LOL. Yes, so I hear.

Ron has a pretty good return policy

Yeah, but the shipping costs would add up pretty quick so probably better to try and sell it to someone here in Aus. If I shipped it back I would probably end up losing about US$70-80 in total for shipping both ways.

PostedFeb 3, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Ashley,
It measures 25 1/4" high, and 8" deep to the mesh pocket. Including the bulging mesh pocket it is 13". I will go at least 3-4" higher if you unroll the top a bit.

PostedFeb 3, 2009 at 8:28 pm

Does anyone know whether the hipbelt is easily removable? I'd like the option of taking it on a flight as hand-luggage, and it would be easier if the hipbelt could be removed for that sort of thing. I wonder whether it would compress small enough to be allowed on… maximum dimensions width+depth+height is usually 45 inches. I guess this might squeeze in ok, without the hipbelt though (if possible).

PostedFeb 3, 2009 at 10:19 pm

I'm still waiting on a Youtube video review of the Circuit… :)

Anyone wanna do one? Mike, where are you located in Socal? Maybe I can stop by and take a video of it?

PostedFeb 4, 2009 at 8:21 am

The pack{totally stuffed} is 13" across, not including the mesh side pockets. The hip belt is removable. This would work fine for a carry on at the airport, {with less in it}.

Nick,
I am in So. Redondo beach.

PostedFeb 4, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Mike
Can you please post a picture of the back of the pack, I'd like to see the new frame. I noticed the Catalyst style roll top closure, nice.
Franco

PostedFeb 4, 2009 at 2:55 pm

The pack{totally stuffed} is 13" across

Thanks Mike. Very much appreciated!! Leaving it lightly packed and using it as a carry-on 'daypack' could solve a lot of problems. That way I can take a panel-loader as check-in baggage and have the best of both worlds. Cheers!

PostedFeb 4, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Just as a point of clarification…

1)ULA Ohm has load lifters.
2)ULA Circuit has load lifters.

Brian

PostedFeb 4, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Oh, Brain –

About the Ohm being available "in the next couple of days" –

Can you speculate a little?

Thanks.

PostedFeb 4, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Dammit Brian! It was hard enough to decide on the Circuit, and now I have to consider the Ohm!

Seriously though, in what way does the Ohm differ from the Circuit? It's smaller, presumably less padding on the backpanel and waistbelt (?), but still has the internal frame hoop? How does the carry comfort and max load compare?

PostedFeb 4, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Ashley and Co…

The difference between the OHM and Circuit is substantial. While the suspension hoop results in an 'active' suspension the hipbelt on the OHM is simply 3/8" foam. Granted the hipbelt is contoured, is quite supportive (as it ties into the hipbelt), it does not share the additional construction components of the Circuit Hipbelt….the stuff that makes the Circuit's belt rigid and very supportive.

In addition, the Circuit has an internal foam framesheet whereas the interior of the OHM is like peering into a frameless ruck…ain't nothing there but a pad holster which awaits the insertion of your sleeping pad for further pack rigidity.

Another consideration is shape. While the OHM is slightly smaller in total volume, the shape of the main body is much less accommodating in terms of pack-a-bility. For lack of a better description, the interior of the Circuit is more square while the OHM is more round.

In terms of load guide, I list the Circuit as a 35 lb max. The majority of Circuit users whom I hear from, tell me they are 100% happy at loads between 28-32 lbs. The Ohm I have listed as a 30 lb max. I suspect that the majority of users will find maximum comfort between 24-28 lbs.

Hope that helps.

Brian

PostedFeb 4, 2009 at 5:31 pm

Thanks Brian. Very helpful. I think I'm going to stick to the Circuit as it will be more suitable when I want to do longer trips. Cheers!

PostedFeb 4, 2009 at 8:29 pm

Sure will. A 3/4 length (or less) pad would work best. I'd also rec'd packing the rest of your load loose to fill in the gaps between the canister and the interior of the pack itself. With a full size canister in the OHM, you'd still have ~9 inches to the top seam, and then another ~9" in the extension collar.

Brian

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
Loading...