Topic

Inflatable Pads – Carry Patch Kit?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
PostedFeb 3, 2009 at 12:51 pm

The "CCF vs Self Inflator vs Synth Mat" thread made me wonder …

Do those of you who use inflatable pads carry patch kits?

Ken

Brad Groves BPL Member
PostedFeb 3, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Ken- I carried an inflatable pad patch kit for over fifteen years. I never used it. Not even at home. So now I leave the dead weight at home.

PostedFeb 3, 2009 at 1:05 pm

The new Aquaseal UV-Cure adhesive looks like a great fix for pinhole leaks, which are the most common problem with self-inflators. No heating of glue or dealing with long curing times, and probably no fabric patches needed.

PostedFeb 3, 2009 at 1:10 pm

I carry a small tube of Seam Grip, and a small bit of repair tape (both McNett's). They can be used alone or in combo to patch and repair all sorts of stuff, including mats, jackets, packs and tents, but I have not yet had to patch an inflatable mat.

Joe Kuster BPL Member
PostedFeb 3, 2009 at 1:11 pm

I haven't had the same luck as some. I've had to patch at least a dozen pads in the field. A lot of them were pinhole leaks but I've also had punctures from things like fishing lures, thorns hidden in the sand I camped on or a tree limb falling on the tent and ripping holes and even full seam blowouts. My patch kit always comes along for the ride.

Mary D BPL Member
PostedFeb 3, 2009 at 5:59 pm

Duct tape. I haven't had to use it, but I did do a trial to be sure it would stick to the mat.

Joe Kuster BPL Member
PostedFeb 5, 2009 at 1:35 pm

As a heads up, I've had no luck getting duct tape to stay air tight for anything more than the tiniest bubble leak.

Joe Kuster BPL Member
PostedFeb 5, 2009 at 2:04 pm

I have used tenacious tape for patching kits. Seemed to work fairly well but I'm sure it will depend on the pad material. The new Ba clearview pad will obviously take different stuff than the fabric covered pads. The factory patch kits are usually pretty light and are for sure going to work on that material, so I tend to keep them with me.

PostedFeb 5, 2009 at 3:15 pm

You don't get a patch kit with a BA Clearview, but they recommend Tear-Aid Type A, which is also good for a lot of other things. It has a lot of give as well as good adhesion.

I used it when my Clearview valve block lacerated the adjacent tube wall. Worked great. Still airtight 6 months later.

PostedFeb 5, 2009 at 3:22 pm

I always carry the patch kit for my POE Max Thermo 3/4.
I've never had to use it and,
I know deep down in my heart that
as long as I carry my patch,
I will never, ever have to use it, but,
if I ever leave my patch kit at home,
I will have a blow-out!
That's just the way things work :-)

PostedFeb 5, 2009 at 4:44 pm

I usually use platty bottles or a platty bigzip for hydration so I carry a couple of platty patches just in case. They also work perfectly to repair holes in many inflatable sleep pads (I use Big Agnes Pads), rain flys, tarps, rain jackets, etc.

ID

Mark Verber BPL Member
PostedFeb 5, 2009 at 9:40 pm

I carry a small patch kit (sil sealer and a bit of material) which could be used to patch my tarp (hasn't been needed) or my air matress… has been needed once.

–Mark

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Loading...