Topic

Tylenol AND Ibuprofen?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Tylenol AND Ibuprofen?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Unknown abc

@edude

Do you really need both?

It seems as though Ibuprofen is much more flexible, (and I know it works really well for me).

So, do I really need both?

Cheers

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

A couple foil packs of Tylenol wouldn't upset the cart. I carry it as much for someone else as for myself, like much of my first aid gear. Tylenol is good for fevers and won't upset your stomach as much as ibuprofen can. Ibuprofen is effective on inflammation, which Tylenol won't do anything for, I would carry ibuprofen as a first/only choice.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

They work differently for different people. For me:

Motrin works best for back or muscle aches and it's okay for headaches.

Tylenol works best for headaches, okay for muscle aches, not much good for back aches.

Aleve doesn't seem much use for anything. (Again, for ME)

So I carry enough Motrin for 200 mg routine dose every night plus plenty to spare if I get sore (4 pills per day in the kit). Last summer I ran across two people who had hurt their knees and one of them was very happy to receive an extra 20 motrin pills.

Jim

Unknown abc

@edude

I usually take

8 200mg ibuprofen

6 500mg tylenol

and it's not neccasarily less weight i'm after, but sheer simplicity!

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

They work diferently too. You can take one and then (about halfway through the first dose, or sooner) the other.
    The higher drug load in your system and the fact that the two target diffrent pain centers means that the two taken together over time can be used as an alternative to T3's ect.
    Or so I've been told

Jim
    Spectator

@kyogal

ibuprofen, or nsaids (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) covers widest range of common and emergency situations.

my first-aid is around 6oz with:
    ibuprofen-common stuff
    aspirin- cardiac emergencies (other people, not me)
    tylenol pm- long day, horrible camping spot, loud tarp

WFR course is def. not lightweight…

Michael Williams

@qldhike

Locale: Queensland

Just reiterating what most people have said:

Tylenol (AKA acetominophen or paracetamol) works on fevers and pain – Usual dose 1g four times a day
    Less likely to have side effects compared to ibuprofen

Ibuprofen works on fever, pain and inflammation – Usual dose 400mg three times a day
    More likely to cause side effects and caution in patients with asthma, high blood pressure, kidney problems, heart failure and on blood thinners and probably other things I've forgot.

You can use both together and get better pain relief.

I usually just take some ibuprofen. For the gram weenies I'm pretty sure ibuprofen tabs are lighter than paracetamol but it probably depends on the brand.

Hope this helps,
    Michael

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Never carried either.
    I find the idea of relying on drugs completely unacceptable.

No apologies.
    Cheers

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Maybe I am one of the lucky ones — both Ibuprofen and Acetominophen work well and quickly for me.

When it comes to "multiple aches and tension" at the end of a long hike — such as both headache from elevation and muscle pain from exertion — I too find that taking one of each (instead of two of either) brings about even faster relief.

Given the above and the fact that these tablets weigh just about the same — I usually take a few of each with me. Popping one of each instead of two of either means no weight penalty at all.

Michael Williams

@qldhike

Roger,

When you say relying on drugs, do you mean taking them regularly during a hike or having them in case you need them?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Evan,
    One(Tylenol/acetomenaphin) is a painkiller, the other is an anti-inflammatory. Different drugs for different problems. Neither is meant to be snorted or smoked, BTW. ;)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Michael

My first aid kit has a few Panadol for emergencies. We have to throw them out every few years and replace them with new ones because they get too old. The same applies at home.

So, to answer your question: I don't object to having pain killers or anti-inflammatories in a first aid kit. That's a personal choice. But we do not use them except in genuine emergencies – which we usually manage to avoid.

The idea of taking a drug each night just to sleep – no way! Not at home, and not in the bush. Anyhow, I am usually tired enough that they would be quite superfluous. And the idea of not being able to wake up fast in the middle of the night to handle an emergency (like in When Things Go Wrong) – no thanks!

Ymmv.

Cheers

Michael Williams

@qldhike

Hi Roger,

I was just curious, but I agree with you.

Thanks,
    Michael

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

What?! No BC powder??? Doesn't anyone carry this wonder drug? : )

Jim
    Spectator

@kyogal

Just as you stated roger, drugs in my kit are for emergencies.

can't say i have ever used any of meds in my kit, let alone rely on them/ use them everyday!

not a user, im a hiker ;)

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

>The idea of taking a drug each night just to sleep – no way! Not at home, and not in the bush. Anyhow, I am usually tired enough that they would be quite superfluous. And the idea of not being able to wake up fast in the middle of the night to handle an emergency (like in When Things Go Wrong) – no thanks!<
    Roger, I agree with you, I also find it interesting that on a current thread others are extolling the virtues of trying to dull the senses with liquor, cigars and other “drugs”.
    I really find this odd- besides wanting to “being able to wake up fast in the middle of the night to handle an emergency” I want to fully enjoy my experience in the backcountry.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Sorry for being of topic.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Mmmmmmmm cigars and liquor. I can attest that liquor is an extremely effective pain reliever. However, it may be unwise to drink liquor if you are sick and or injured (I hope this is stating the obvious). I have never noticed any medicinal purpose for cigars.

Aleve, or naproxen sodium, is a very effective anti-inflammatory for me. I usually take 2. Otherwise, any of them (aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen and naproxen sodium) work for me for getting rid of a headache. I use these medications maybe 2 times a year and have no tolerance built up for them which is why I think they are so effective on me. I usually pack in (aspirin or acetaminophen) and (ibuprofen or naproxen sodium).

I would also recommend melatonin as a sleep aid instead of diphenhydramine, aka Tylenol PM. Melatonin, for me, is more mild on my body and will allow me to fall asleep without “knocking me out”. It is a naturally occurring hormone in the body. I have never used this backpacking, only at home. It is nice because I can wake up in the middle of the night without feeling disoriented if I need to. In the backcountry Whisky usually puts me to bed quite nicely.

I also highly recommend an anti-diarrheal med like, loperamide hydrochloride (Imodium), or at least some bismuth subsalicylate tabs (Pepto).

Dave T

@davet

Jim
    Spectator

@kyogal

dan, i'll have to check out melatonin.

the tylenol pm is for "just in case" and def. don't like being totally knocked out if i do use it.

i like to be able to pop out of my sleeping bag if, say, a meteorite lands close to my tarp, a bear grabs my foot, etc ;)

tom duffy
    BPL Member

@tomduffy

take both with you. And maybe take both.

Tylenol (acetaminophen or "paracetamol") is centrally acting with a mild anti-inflamatory effect.

Ibuprofen has a more marked peripherally acting anti-inflamatory effect (more gastritis/side efffects etc) It is the only on the counter NSAID most places but also the weakest/mildest. Its mode of action means it will be more effective than Tylenol on that swollen knee or for pre-menstrual symptoms. If you have to walk down another day of inca road on a swollen knee taking it in the morning is probably acceptable to most people.

These tablets work different ways for the most part so when you are walking out with the broken leg (or severe fever) you can take both.

You can do this at the same time to get you started.

The other way is to take the second type a few hours later so it starts to work as the first is wearing if to avoid a gap in pain relief.

In this situation continuing the regular dose with out waiting for one to wear off makes sense but you need to keep within max doses with both(on the box (generally 4 doses a day)).

You will find also acetaminophen/paracetamol in flu tablets or codeine mixes so try not to overdose.

Aspirin is milder (with less anti inflamatory action) than Ibuprofen and acts by a similar route so its better not to double up on it. It has lost most of its role to the other drugs mentioned.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Tylenol is a better fever reducer, but as far as aches and pains, doesn't come close to Ibuprofen.

Furthermore, Tylenol is toxic at relatively low dosages (compared to Ibuprofen) and puts some strain on your liver. You should never take it if you've been drinking alcohol or if you regularly consume alcohol.

For these reasons, I'd just take the Ibuprofen. You can take 800mg at a time (the prescription strength) and it works wonders at this dosage. One caution, is that prolonged use will cause stomach ulcers. To avoid this, take it with food and not on an empty stomach. The nice thing about Ibuprofen (as compared to Tylenol) is that there is no real risk of overdosing and it actually works very very well.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

Does it have any advantage over the other two?

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

Ibuprofen and Tylenol are fine for minor issues, but what about real emergencies? They are no substitute for opiate derivatives or synthetics. I pack hydrocodone for such emergencies, how about everyone else?

Its not reliance, its recreation ;-)

Oh, and cigars will settle your stomach and help with diarrhea.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

"The nice thing about Ibuprofen (as compared to Tylenol) is that there is no real risk of overdosing and it actually works very very well."

Not quite true. Iboprufen was once only available as a perscription drug known as Motrin. The pharmaceutical companies lobbied to have it aproved as an OTC and in a controversial move the FDA approved the change. The reason it was controversial is because iboprufen can cause kidney failure if abused and many people have sadly suffered that fate, mainly because they think "if one is good the taking two pills must be better".

Today the FDA began weighing the possible removal of acetaminophen related products from store shelves because it is a leading cause of liver failure in the US, sending 56,000 people to the emergency room annually. And for the same reason as the above…some people are just incapable of following directions. Natural selection I guess.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools