Topic

Poor performance in ‘Green’ products

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
PostedFeb 2, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Has anyone experienced poor performance with 'Green' (PVC free, low / VOC free, etc.) backpacking products?

In this case I'm referring to a pair of rain pants with PVC free seam tape that I just sent back to be repaired for the third time as the tape splits and delaminates almost immediately. I'm not planning on using them again.

A couple years ago, I remember Chaco (?) having problems with delaminating soles after switching to a 'green' adhesive.

As the switch to less environmentally damaging chemicals and materials escalates, would you expect issues of this nature to increase?

I'm absolutely for using products which are better for our environment, but if it means having to send them back to a manufacturer repeatedly for repair or if it results in a markedly reduced lifespan, I wonder if this negates the original intent of the product.

Thoughts?

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedFeb 2, 2009 at 5:06 pm

The marketing advantages of advertising your product as 'Green' are well known and quantifiable. Major ad agencies and corporations are diving in.
But as you are finding out, spin and truth are not the same things.

Cheers

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Loading...