Topic

anti inflammation trekking food

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition anti inflammation trekking food

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

A few months ago Huzefa found a reference on the internet to a book about inflammation free food. I ordered the book and promised to report back when I had " digested" it.
    The book is based on the premise that a whole series of foods cause cellular inflammation which in turn exacerbates degenerative diseases such as arthritis, heart attacks, diabetes, even cancer.
    It says low glycemic index, the right balance of omega3 oils to omega6,and a series of other less widespread effects are anti inflammatory. I think what they say are good effects are probably good although personally I am not convinced that they had evidence to show how they had weighted the different good and bad factors.
    The result is a long but not comprehensive list of foods with an inflammation index number attached.
    To give you a flavour: fish is generally very good, nuts are good,vegetables are good, olive, fish and rapeseed oil are very good Some mostly lean meat is marginal,seeds and cereals are marginally negative. Fruit is marginally negative,most oils not mentioned above are negative-very negative, sweet things and junk food are very negative.
    Potatoes are like cereals not vegetables, walnuts and pine nuts are like seeds not nuts.
    You are supposed to balance the positive and negative components of your diet to end up slightly positive, not just eat restricted anti-inflammatory foods. So although fruit is mildly negative because of its glycemic index you are still supposed to eat it.
    I have moved my day to day diet in the right direction according to the book.
    My lightweight dehydrated dense calorie, chocolate rich trekking diet stayed negative and inflammatory.
    I have just started to experiment with homemade flapjack: oats, olive oil, brazil nuts, raisins, ginger and lemon, molasses baked and coated in chocolate to make it keep longer. This concoction would be inflammation neutral, 5.5 calories per gram, (as calorie dense as chocolate.) There are some teething problems with it being too crunbly and therefore hard to coat in chocolate.
    The other problem to solve is how to take fish as food trekking without the cans.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Take back what I said. It appears the anti inflammation thing is a new twist to the same diet recommendations of that past….eat better foods.

Brett Tucker

@blister-free

Locale: Puertecito ruins

Hi Derek,

Your earlier copy of this post has a more developed thread of its own. Could we close this one down and refer back to the other?

See here

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools