Topic

Natural wood sealant???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Natural wood sealant???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I just finished carving a spork out of red oak. (If anyone cares, I'll post a pic after I seal it)
    Any recommendations for a natural oil/sealant that would be good on an eating utensil?

Thanks.

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

Cool project. I've used mineral oil, and 'butchers block oil' (similar). Both work well.

Time to cook up some Dick Proenneke style peppery ram stew…

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Great idea!

Mineral oil is the accepted "food safe" oil used on utensils and butcher blocks.

I bought a small wooden spoon in a kitchen store that is light and fun– there's something earthy and nostalgic about wooden utensils.

Don't forget chopsticks. The *only* way to eat ramen on the trail and not bad for stirring in a small pot. Emergency dry tinder for a fire too.

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

"mineral oil, and 'butchers block oil' (similar). Both work well."

It is worth noting that mineral oil is available in any pharmacy and at a far better price. Look at butchers block oil and read the ingredient.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Mineral oil? We must have a difference in meanings here. To me, 'mineral oil' means the same as motor car oil! Perhaps you mean something like vegetable oil or paraffin oil?

Cheers

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    I've never heard of mineral oil for this purpose.

I have used olive oil and then baked a piece to dry it/burn off excess- the result was good, but it was for a carving/sculptural piece and I wasn't sure how well it would do for food.

Yes, chopsticks are great Dale!
    I already have some that I've carved out of walnut- I'm a pretty hardcore noodle eater, definitely a must.

My wife has been laughing at me all morning- carving away, sanding my little spork….(she's used to me spending hours on this sort of nonsense, I'm an artist).
    I'm really into the idea of making as much of my own gear as is possible for right now- the spork has been fun.
    I want lathe a really light wooden bowl to nest inside my cookpot as well. I've been thinking quite a bit about the lack of art and personality in backpacking gear- I understand the pragmatism behind it (weight/mass production), but I'm getting tired of all the name brand, generic stuff I have; I'm looking to create a more unique/artistic kit.

Al V
    BPL Member

@sparkman

Locale: The Great White North, eh!

Hi Craig,

Another option is a shellac based finish like Behlen Salad Bowl Finish.

Cheers
    Al

PS Love to see a pic of the finished spork!

Daren Neufeld

@darenn

i'd love to see the finished product as i've been thinking about the same project for a while now.
    another option for finishing:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=45105&cat=1,190,42942

Daren……….

Mark Edgren

@mackgren

Below is a link from the US department of Ag. on acceptable and edible sealants for wood utensils. They also recommend mineral oil, as well as olive and peanut oils. Cheers, Mark

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/finlines/knaeb98c.pdf

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Damn, we are a bunch of nerds…

Anyhow, thanks for all the info folks.
    Here are a couple pictures of it sealed with mineral oil I picked up today at Rite Aid. Joy!!! $5 got me enough for at least 150 more sporks and 600 chopsticks.
    It weighs .6 oz, that's .1 oz less than the Snowpeak Ti spork.

I'd really like to use bamboo, just don't have any stock that's thick enough.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

Nice work Craig! It also has dual use if you pack a bushbuddy! ;)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Beautiful piece of work!

Judging from the quality of your spork, you might have a second career ahead! Had you thought of a salad bowl and server set for home? They would make beautiful gifts, and I'm sure would reconcile your wife to your hobby!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Craig, that's some nice work my friend!

My Ti folding spork weighs 0.65 oz, lacks character, and was probably made by a child worker…keep on carving!

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Contact this Paint store Daly's , they specialize in all kinds of odd finishes.
    I use their product for wood serving trays- they can get you the best for your needs.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Craig,
    You lamented the lack of a bamboo source. Well it's closer than you think. Hustle over to Wally World or your local kitchen store an look for 'bamboo mixing spoons'. I got a two 'blank' package for $9.

This is a quick and dirty practice piece weighing 0.49 ounces and is so much nicer than eating off of Ti (and 0.52 ounces).
    Bamboo Spoon

Thanks for the inspiration.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Round 2 –

Bamboo Spoon 2

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Nice.
    I've always liked the look/feel of bamboo utensils and bowls.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

i dont know how I missed this thread? I also like bamboo utensils, they feel so much nicer on my teeth. I bought a package of bamboo spoons at Wally world or was it ebay?, Its just that I like the long handle on my Ti spoon and my bamboo spoon weights a fraction more. Cant decide which one to take sometimes.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Brian,
    My second attempt above comes in at 0.47 ounces and is the same length as a long handled Ti spoon.

With a little shaping and sanding you could lose some weight.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Worth a second look at Wally's. Thanks

Unknown abc

@edude

WOW, Craig!

I LOVE your spork!!!

Cheers

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Hey Craig,

Thought you might like this:

http://www.jonsbushcraft.com/Kuksa%20tutorial.htm

Also, this site sell the mora carving knives at a pretty good price. I think it's probably tough to hollow out a mug without some specialized knives.

Been thinking about getting into this stuff myself.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

(Any recommendations for a natural oil/sealant that would be good on an eating utensil?)

Use the oil from the jojoba plant that grows in our western states. It's readily available in health food stores.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jojoba_oil

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools