Topic

2009 JMT, need help deciding new pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 2009 JMT, need help deciding new pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    jonathan lorenz

@punkture

Locale: Northern California

This gear list is incomplete but I could use some help to finish it up. Currently Im hoping that the base pack weight will keep below 10lbs. Can anyone suggest a good pack that will hold a bearicade, inside or out? Im looking at mld or gg currectly, maybe ula. Im so unsure of what the right decision is because of my inexperience.

Will be going on the jmt for 2-3 weeks late august to mid september. Any help at this point will be much appreciated since this will be my first thru hike.

gear list

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

If the trip is in August you might not need the 20 ounce puffy jacket. I did it this past August and was fine with a merino wool polo for hiking, very light (100?) fleece pullover, knit cap, and a Marmot Precip jacket as my complete upper body system.

Overnight lows varied but I had frost several nights. If the trip runs much into September the puffy jacket might be a good idea.

Regarding packing the bear can- It will weigh 10-15 pounds loaded up so it really needs to be centered in the pack. I got hung up on finding a pack that would work with my Garcia bear can carried crosswise, but ended up carrying it vertically anyhow.

jonathan lorenz

@punkture

we are setting dates this week but most likely this trip will run 1-2 weeks into september.

b s
    BPL Member

@smyth

I was on the JMT this past September from the 3rd to the 14th. Overnight temps were mainly in the upper 20s and low 30s but a few nights it dipped to the low 20s. I would say that if you were set on taking the WM Summerlite, then you should definitely take the MicroPuff to extend the range of the bag if necessary.

Your pack selection will likely depend on how much food you will be carrying/how often you will be resupplying. I chose to resupply once carrying ~7 days of food at a time. I used the Bearikade Expedition and found that that was pretty tight with a full resupply + toiletries + stove/pot. YMMV.

jonathan lorenz

@punkture

How did you manage to fit only 7 days of food in a 9 day can? what bag did you use and how did you pack the can? Do you happen to have a gear list available from that trip? wouldnt mind taking a peak.

b s
    BPL Member

@smyth

I could have fit 9 days no problem in the Expedition (food only) but I also packed my toiletries and a snow peak mini solo pot in there at night. With those two items, it was tight the first night or two out.

I carried a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone. That pack might be overkill but I also carried 5+ pounds of camera equipment so I wanted to be comfortable (plus I already owned it). The Bearikade fits in there vertically no problem. Doesn't fit horizontally.

Don't have a gear list but my basics were: Nibus Ozone (pack), Tatptent Sublite (shelter), WM Alpinlite (bag), GG 1/4" Thinlite + Montbell UL120 (pads), alky stove, BPL Cocoon parka/pants (insulation). If you have specific ??s about anything else, let me know.

James Ennis

@jimennis

Locale: South

I am planning a 14-day end-to-end of the JMT the last half of August. I am planning to carry a BearVault 500. I am trying to decide which pack to take – ULA Circuit or ULA Catalyst. These are the only two packs that I want to choose from, as I am a huge fan of Brian's packs. My last resupply will be at the Muir Ranch, so I'm looking at carrying 6 days of food from there. My base weight, not including pack, but including the bear canister will be around 8 lbs, depending on what shelter I decide to take. Before you answer, let me throw a wrinkle into the mix. If my wife decides to come with me, then she will carry our shelter (Double Rainbow), but I will be carrying the majority of the food. So I could end up carrying almost 12 days of food in the canister and would mean carrying about 18 lbs. of food.
    Now that you know my dilema (sp?), I would appreciate any advise regarding these two packs.
    Jim
    PS: Didn't mean to hijack the post.

Kevin Egelhoff

@kegelhoff

Locale: Southern Cal

Lots of good advice from the previous posts …
    Three of us did the JMT in 10 days carrying the BV500 cans with one day resupply. Pack weight was about 20 lbs. fully loaded up with food and water day 1 and after the resupply.
    The pack I used and LOVE is the Mariposa Plus with the curved aluminum stays. AWESOME pack for the JMT as it is tough, easy to load up quickly, has great pockets to access gear while walking on the trail, very comfortable for all day/long distance hiking with the curved stays keeping the bear canister off your back. Also did a nice little 100 mile hike on the JMT with 9 days of food in the BV500 with clost to 30 lbs. and the pack STILL worked out great.
    Good luck and I hope to read all about the trip!
    Kevin

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

hey James,
    doing the JMT in late August with my wife and we are also using the BV500. My base is going to be hovering between 10-11lbs and my wifes in the 5-6 range. I am planning on using my Golite Pinnacle and she is using her fav ULA Conduit. We are also doing in one resupply with a stop at the MTR. As for my pack choice over some of my lighter packs, we use a 2 person sleeping quilt/bivy which while light is very bulky. Plus I feel more comfortable that airplane baggage handlers would have a tougher time destoying my bomber Golite over some lighter packs with mesh exterior pockets. Have a great trip and give us a yell if you see us out there.

jonathan lorenz

@punkture

thanks Kevin! I'm leaning towards the mariposa plus atm. Ive had great service with gg in the past and it seams like the lightest full featured bag. Did you pack the BV outside or within the bag?

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

We did the 165 mile stretch of the JMT from Red Meadows to Whitney Portal and all 4 of us used Bearikade Cannisters and 2 of us used Granite Gear Vapor Trail and other 2 used Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone (I used this myself). We all loved the equipment we used. I like the internal frame of the Nimbus Ozone over that of the Vapor Trail. The bear cannister fits inside the Nimbus Ozone horizontally easier at the bottom than it does with the Vapor Trail (very tight fit, but still it fits).

Kevin Egelhoff

@kegelhoff

Locale: Southern Cal

Jon,
    That is just another great reason to really look hard at GG. Grant has GREAT service that is second to none. He sure knows his stuff and is always so helpfull on the phone to answer all my questions and help me make the best choices. The new Mariposa with the aluminum stays rides sweet on my back, even when overloaded! I put the BV500 inside the pack. I always pack some clothes in the bottom first, then slip in the bear can, then sleeping bag and rest of the gear all around and in the pockets. This bag will hold your Bear can and all your normal bulky gear pretty easy but also compresses and still rides well when half full using the nice array of compression straps. I'm always on the lookout for new and lighter gear but this pack works so well that I find myself not even looking at new packs anymore. I hope someone else using the new Mariposa plus with the alum stays chimes in here … I know a few of you bought them !!!

jonathan lorenz

@punkture

haha u sold me. As I mentioned earlier if no one else has anymore input to add to this or the list, I'm pretty sold.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools