Topic

1 oz double wall wood stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 1 oz double wall wood stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

+ 2 Ti tent stakes = 1 3/8 oz.

I started out making paint can bush buddies. I've been playing with different materials trying to reduce weight and get it to store inside an AGG 3 cup pot. I also wanted an integrated wind screen. The wind screen is the reason I ended up with a double wall stove so no need to continue the double wall gassifier discussion.

What I came up with is an outer made of aluminum oven liner and in inner with .001" stainless foil walls and .005" Ti foil floor.

I just to a quick dry run and was able to boil 2 cups of water without needing to refuel.

Here's a few photos:
    stove in use

A shot inside:
    Inside of stove
    Here are the inner fuel box:
    Firebox

This is the stove stored in the AGG pot:
    Stove stored

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Nice dual use of tent stakes to support fire box. All around great use of light gauge materials. Very nice design Nia =)

One load of fuel is fantastic for 2 cups to boil. Congratulation on a great design. A true "Stovie"

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

thats a very clever design. What is Aluminium oven liner? It can fold or roll up, yet can take a bit of heat and still support a pot. I like the hanging firebox

Ulrika Dahlin

@ulrika

This is a great idea. Someone should manufacture these.

Right now I am using a Bushbuddy that I love. One area that could be improved on the Bushbuddy is the weight.

If somebody could manufacture a titanium, dual wall with built in windscreen for 2 oz I would definitely buy one

Could you please post some more photos?

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

Derek, the aluminum oven liner is this It's basically very heavy duty aluminum foil.

Ulrika, I'll try to post a few more photos when I get a chance. It's easy enough to make one for yourself. Just takes some scissors, a stapler and a hole punch.

As for a comparison between this stove and the bush buddy, this is obviously lighter weight. I also think it will function with only minimal loss of efficiency in high winds. On the down side I think my stove will produce more soot.

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

Nia
    I am more positive about your stove than you are. Your stove is double walled but the outer wall is more windshield and chimney than preheated secondary air supply. I think it does preheat secondary air to some extent anyway. The windshield and chimney effects are very important in my opinion. The whole system has the potential to be better than the bushbuddy. Because you have found a light collapsible outer you can make the firebox bigger than the bushbuddy. I have not been able to find Aluminium cans big enough to make my bushbuddy type stove much wider in the firebox than the bushbuddy. My outer wall is Aluminium, the inner steel. Getting away from cans bypasses that problem.
    My concern with your stove is whether the Aluminium outer will soften and collapse if the fire is prolonged.
    I would make the outer taller to encompass the pot and increase the height of the chimney.
    I look forward to more photos of your stove.

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

My testing, and that of others have shown two advantages of the double walled stove over the single walled stove.

1. improved muscle strenght owing to the extra weight.

2. improved bottom line of metal sellers.

As far as cooking performance goes, there doesn't appear to be any difference.

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

Derek writes:
    >"I am more positive about your stove than you are."

Thanks Derek. Don't get me wrong, I think this stove (help need a name) is definitely superior to the bushbuddy for me. It's more compact, lighter, more effective in the wind, and easier to use with the bigger fire box. Plus it's cheap and easy to make. Others will decide for themselves.

>"My concern with your stove is whether the Aluminium outer will soften and collapse if the fire is prolonged."

I think it should be fine. I've been playing with different designs for the fire box for several months. But I used the same aluminum outer the entire time. Unlike the bushbuddy there is no heat conducted from firebox to outer. The only connection is the titanium stake touching and that doesn't seem to be enough. Aluminum definitely doesn't work for the firebox (tried this and it burns away).

>"I would make the outer taller to encompass the pot and increase the height of the chimney."

The height of the outer is as tall as possible while still fitting in my pot. I could do a split design to extend up the side of the pot. How much difference that would make? Would it be worth the extra fiddliness of having another piece to the stove (there are 5 pieces so far including 2 stakes)?

Hi Herman, I've followed the debates/tests of double wall stoves. While I haven't seen anything conclusive I see no evidence of any advantage for the outer wall to justify it. The design here is different though. The outer wall of my stove provides a windscreen, chimney, and pot stand for about 1/2 oz. I think that's well worth the weight. I also doubt the aluminum oven liner producers have noticed the uptick in sales based on my efforts. :)

Logan K
    BPL Member

@logan

Locale: Florida

Looks good and not unlike the tri – ti. I'll be curious how many burns the aluminum can stand up to before it crumbles – no worries of this sort with titanium.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

>Looks good and not unlike the tri – ti. I'll be curious how many burns the aluminum can stand up to before it crumbles – no worries of this sort with titanium.

I agreeabout the lack of significant benefits to double walled stoves. As far as titanium goes, I recall someone from TD once mentioned that the Ti does get brittle or more fragile or something like that over time. This was in reply to my query RE: Using a larger diameter pot that sits on the rim of the cone istead of in the tent stakes.

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

Logan said:
    >"Looks good and not unlike the tri – ti."

Thanks. The stand is certainly similar to the ti-tri: a cylinder with tent stake supports. However, the ti-tri doesn't have anything like the inner fire box. The fire box makes it much easier, basically idiot proof, to get good air flow. This is takes some effort/skill when building a fire on the ground like with the ti-tri.

>"I'll be curious how many burns the aluminum can stand up to before it crumbles"

I don't think the aluminum is as fragile as you all seem to think, but we'll see. I've got about 15 short burns (enough to boil a pot of water) on the windscreen with various different designs for the inner fire box. So far this a little blackening/soot, but no noticeable damage.

I used the same piece of aluminum foil as a windscreen for a canister and white gas stove for years without any problems. How much hotter is a wood fire?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools