Topic

Caldera Keg Clone

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Caldera Keg Clone

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brett Warren
    BPL Member

@warren98

Recently I noticed the Caldera Keg from Antigravity Gear. As both a Make Your Own junkie, and really poor, I would like to make a clone.
    I've searched the forum's and figure I can make the cone/wind screen and the “pot”. However I didn't see any recommendations for a suitable stove.
    After looking here http://zenstoves.net/ChimneyStove.htm , I decided that the Cat Can Stove or the Mini Zen Chimney/Sideburner Stove (the first two on the page) would be good substitutes, mostly because they look the most similar to the caldera keg stove.
    Does anyone have an opinion on the suitability of these two stoves for use inside a caldera style cone, or a recommendation for more appropriate stove design?

Thanks

peter kvamme

@karacolor

Locale: midwest

I dont have any information regarding stoves for you, but I wanted to make sure you visit another thread all about a MYOG Heineken Cone system. Lots of good info, as well as some posts directly from Trail Designs.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=10468&disable_pagination=1

Scott Littlefield

@sclittlefield

Locale: Northern Woods of Maine

I'm assuming you're talking about using a Heineken Mini-Keg for the Pot (or Fosters, doesn't matter)? That being the case, just bear in mind that side burner stoves tend to not work well with narrow bottom pots. The flames go a bit too wide. Those two stoves you mentioned should work great. I've made both, I recommend the second one – it's a better contained unit (just one piece).

Whatever stove you go for, just make sure it is a center burner for that sort of pot.

Brett Warren
    BPL Member

@warren98

The stove sold with the Caldera Keg looks like a single center burner with some type of double wall with holes on the side. Using that description the Cat stove would be most similar to the caldera stove?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

the zen stove (chimney/side burner) is a fun little stove. I used it a lot before discovering the orion. I think as a chimney it is a very fast stove and should do good in the cone. If you can get the height right.

-Tim

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools