Topic

Down bag washing….

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Down bag washing….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Zak Randell

@zakrandell

I have a summer Jacks R better down quilt that I've been using for a while. A little while ago, it got washed (not by me) in a top loading washing machine… I haven't noticed a huge difference in its loft, but it seems to clump a lot more. Has serious damage been done? What can be done?

Z

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

Western Mountaineering's washing tips:

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Product%20Tips%20and%20Care

I especially like the dryer refresh idea. 5 minutes in the dryer on low heat seems to perk up my down after a trip.

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

edit: defer to Pan's instructions

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Zak,

The summer JRB quilt you refere to is a sew thru so there are no baffles to be damage (FTR, in the thousands of JRB quilts in customer hands, there has never been a reported baffle failure)

As to clumping, once down is thouroughly dry it will not reclump unless it recieves a another significant wetting.

Two to three cycles of low to moderate heat will normally dry a summer quilt afterwashing assuming a routine front loading washer's spin cycle…. tennis balls are not needed. Check between cycles, break any large clumps felt in early cycles by hand.

Pan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools