Topic

GG SpinnTwinn vs. Gatewood Cape

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
PostedJan 29, 2009 at 11:24 am

Trying to decide between these two shelters based on their abilities to handle a stong thunderstorm

I am just shy of 6'4" and like the roominess of the SpinnTwinn but also the Cape because of the 360 degree protection

Scott Bentz BPL Member
PostedJan 29, 2009 at 12:18 pm

I have both. I am 5'9". I think your height may be a problem in the Gatewood Cape. The Spin Twinn is much roomer even when buttoned down to the ground. However, you can't use your Spinn Twinn as a poncho.

todd BPL Member
PostedJan 29, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Darin,

I'm nearly 6'2" and wouldn't want to be much taller in my Gatewood in stand-alone mode.

That said, If you use a UL bivy, then you can stake it a little higher, thereby increasing interior space to your liking. Downside to this is, of course, potential for weather coming in the sides a little. But you have that in the SpinnTwinn anyway.

I love the Gatewood for near complete coverage. Even at my height, I've found the Serenity inside it to be roomy enough, with some room to spare – I've read a few complaints about it not being roomy enough, but it's less confining than a bivy, so I fail to see the drawback.

Order one, try pitching it various ways (including using sticks/additional poles on the side tie-outs – which greatly increases living space w/my size 13 feet! Also check out Will R's & Carol's reviews on this site for pitching tips). You can return it if it just doesn't work for you.

Todd

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...