Topic

“Engineering” issue with my pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear “Engineering” issue with my pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I've decided to try to make use of my old Jannd Zoor Alpinist pack for local hikes since the fabric is so durable for our bushwhacking chaparral adventures. The pack is frameless.

I loaded up my gear and put it on the scale. Dry, it's 12lbs. I put it on, but it feels nearly as awful as it did when it weighed 30lbs with food and water when I used it for 400 miles on the PCT last year before giving up in agony. I think what happens is the pack leans backwards away from my body. I've tried tightening various straps but can't seem to fix it. I can't seem to bring it against my upper shoulders.

Since you guys sew and design things, maybe you can help me. What, engineering-wise, causes a pack to lean way back away from the body like that and what might I do to fix it?

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Some pics would be good!

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Sounds like it needs load lifters. But I have to ask…..why are you still trying to make this thing work. Do we need to have an intervention, start a new pack fund?

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

I hate to waste it. Plus I enjoy a project. But yeah, you're probably right.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

As an engineer, I recommend buying a women's jam2 for $52 to use while you work on your project, saving yourself a pound and a half. Then think EBay. Sometimes a pack just doesn't fit your body type. And keep telling yourself "400 miles……."

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Diane,
    You're new here and your not a gotta-have-it-latest-new-gear-freak guy, but… You can never have too many packs, tents, stoves, wind shirts, etc… Besides, there are a ton of really great pack designs out there. Some at a really reasonable price. Go for it. You can always loan your old pack out. Or, as suggested, sell it.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Photos of it on you loaded essential.

Cheers

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

You're right. Project aborted. My birthday is coming up and Gossamer Gear is having a sale…

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Send my Mariposa+ back to GG yesterday for a retrofit. Great guys.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools