Topic

Shoes for New Zealand – Flyroc 310, Roclite 305s, Montrail Hardrock or other

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Shoes for New Zealand – Flyroc 310, Roclite 305s, Montrail Hardrock or other

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

The soles on my Montrail Hardrocks have worn right down, so it is time to look for some replacements. I have been pleased with the Hardrocks, but have also been hearing great things about the Innov-8's. In New Zealand we only seem to have the Flyroc 310 and Roclite 305s available.

The whole Innov-8 range seems a bit bewildering so I am looking for any feedback on the suitability of these two shoes and the differences between them. My initial feel is that the Flyrocs won't have enough cushioning for use on trails and are probably more suited to off trail.

I may end up with another pair of the Hardrocks as they fit me well, but I have heard that since the Columbia takeover they are not quite the same. Is this really the case?

I am also open to other suggestions.

Many thanks,

Jason
    New Zealand

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

i think columbia has had financial control for quite some time, thus all hardrocks were columbia's baby.
    i always had better than average fit with Montrail shoes. Inov 8, not so much.

any way you look at it, very light shoes dont last long. Check sierratradingpost.com for deals, they now ship intl.

cheers, mike`

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

I run mtn bike trails with my flyroc's. They don't have much cushion, but after a few runs my feet adjusted and their light weight and feel of the trail trumps the lack of cushion for me.

I ordered a full size larger and they fit snugly. The toe box is fine, the heal a bit narrow. In my case, they are the tightest at the instep.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I have gotten approximately 500 miles out of each pair of Inov-8's I've used (310s, 330s, 390GTXs). I wore out two pair of Montrail Vitesse as well but these were originals, not the new Columbia versions).

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Hi Sam,

I must say I am a little reluctant to try any of the new Montarials as I have heard that changes made by Columbia have not been very positive. It's a real shame as the Hardrocks fitted me very well. I just wish I had got a couple of extra pairs when I saw them going cheap – doh.

I think I am going to give the Innov-8s a try this time. Have hunted around a bit more I now think I can get the 310s and 330s NZ. Did you find much difference between them? I also think I will be able to get the Mudroc 280 and 290 here, but they look a bit specialized to me.

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

I wear Flyroc 310s and Roclite 315s here in Norway. The Roclite sole definitely has more grip and the midsole is slightly more cushioned but the toebox is narrower. I now use the 315 purely for trail running and use the slightly wider but less cushioned 310 for hiking where there is less impact on my joints. I've tried on Montrails but they don't seem to fit my foot shape.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools