Topic

MLD patrol shelter…sort of

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MLD patrol shelter…sort of

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

i was planning on making a tarptent for one from shires. but i've been considering changing to a design like the MLD patrol shelter and adding mesh around the edges. of course i would have to make a "door" to get in and out, but thinking i could save a little weight this way. i'm pretty good at the trig and am confident in my ability to put something together. does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

The son of the squaw of the hippopotamus is equal the sons of the squaws of the other two hides.

Sorry. I never thought I'd get a chance to use that here. And I shouldn't have.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I think that should be:
    'The squaw of the hippopotamus is equal the sons of the squaws of the other two hides.'

Cheers

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Ben, I love the patrol shelter. I don't have one, but ever since it came out I've thought it was great design. A bug proof version would be very cool – show us some pics when you are done.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

But the squaw of the hippo had one son.

ben wood

@benwood

well, i haven't decided yet. but i only have until tommorrow when i meet the person doing the sewing. i'm trying to figure out if it really will be lighter. i know it will be more storm worthy since the ends would be pretty well covered and i could pitch it really low if need be. i'm thinking about making it a little smaller in the back, more like the size of the tarptent, but then having the front be close to the size of the patrol shelter. i think i would make it able to use poles or guylines. with a "door" on the front, it might function similar to a shangri-la 1, exept that the beak wouldn't go down to the ground. i think this design would let me pitch it higher or lower, and in the low position it would only be off the ground in the front.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

You don't need a door. Just size the net so you can lift it up and slip under it.

ben wood

@benwood

well no pics yet, but i got the two sides cut out and the back. the person doing the sewing will put those together and all the grosgrain tieouts. then i will pitch it so i can measure for the beak and mesh. but so far so good. i will try to remember to take some pics that i can post.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools