Topic

MYOG Sleeping Pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Sleeping Pad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nick K
    BPL Member

@nkline

Locale: Northeast U.S.

I am considering making my own sleeping pad. Based on what I have read so far, it looks like some folks have been down this path already:

CheerStic

Balloon

PolyTubeDAM

The PolyTube DAM project seems versatile to me: insert the Down tubes in the winter, go without them in warmer months.

Which MYOG sleeping pad project have you found the most reliable, comfortable, and versatile?

Thanks,

Nick

Rosaleen Sullivan
    Spectator

@mamarosa43

Locale: New England

I did a little playing around with balloon beds.

Preliminary results:

PIA as far as inflating balloons and getting them into the "bed."

2" dia balloons are impossible (for me and some others) to inflate without a pump.

3" balloons can be reinflated by mouth, so preinflating and releasing air is a possibility for short trips or special purposes.

2" balloons did not give me enough cushion.

More experimenting is needed to see if I can get comfortable at all. The balloons were too tight for a soft cushion in my quick attempts.

I might carry a balloon bed as a backup in case I am stranded in an airport or wish to use a shelter in a thunderstorm.

For a MYOG COMFORTABLE BED, I say, go HAMMOCK!

Rosaleen

Nick K
    BPL Member

@nkline

Thanks for sharing Rosaleen :)

We must be the only people out there interested in making our own sleeping pad ;)

Nick

Nick K
    BPL Member

@nkline

*bump-a-roo*

Matt Lauterbach

@ulfamilyof4

I haven't followed through by actually ordering the Cheerstix, but that's my plan. I'm planning on using lightweight silk for the casing… We have a 3.5 year old and a 6 month old, so the volume will really pay off more than the weight when I'm carrying 40lbs of 'ultralight' gear.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools