Topic

Choice of forum

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

The "G-spot" forum seems to receive a lot of threads that really belong in other forums. Perhaps this is because people read "G-spot" more, or perhaps it's because most any activity that might be discussed involves some use of a physical object? However, for the reader who, for example, is currently more interested in, say, "Philosophy and Technique," burying a thread like the one about water purification procedure in "G-spot" is likely to get it lost in the crowd.

Dave T

@davet

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

It's not that your suggestions aren't heard. I assure you at least one of the BPL team members sees just about every post that gets made on the forums.

We are in the process of major overhauls of the back end of the Web site at this time and will continue to be over the course of 2009. We have chosen to overhaul various sections of the site before others and the forums are not top priority for us.

Although the forums are a core aspect of our user group and provide for an excellent means of information exchange they do not directly generate revenue. Those involved with the development of backpackinglight.com are very, very talented and have a truly cutting-edge view of what a Web site can be. Cost constraints of development unfortunately slows things down.

* hint hint, buy a membership to help us out! ; )

Dave T

@davet

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Hark! Is that the sound of an approaching increase in the price of subscription fees?

If so, how about considering a graduated fee schedule that charges extra to members who want extra services that cost more to develop/maintain, while those who prefer to "fly coach" pay only for that service and not having to pay for flash and dazzle they find to be of little if any benefit?

"No pain, no gain" doesn't rule out gain without pain, as in the fact that BPL offers fine resources without having to inflict the pain of increased fees on happy subscribers to pay for additional expensive services they may not want.

JRS

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Sam, Dave brings up a good point… Just the other night my wife and older kids were harassing me for being on an adult site- they said the I was on a site discussing the "G-Spot". Of course they knew it was on BPL but they still rubbed it in and it made for a little conversation dance step at the dinner table with the younger one present.
    I am a Scoutmaster also and would like to direct the boys to this site to learn more about how to lighten up, but I know that their parents might be offended by the mere name of this forum. Our chartering organization is a church with a strong faith/value system.
    Maybe think of a better more benign name?

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I'm not sure how you handle this sort of stuff past a certain point.

Ah … there are limits, and I think this one went a bit too far. Fair go guys!

Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor

My apologies. I thought the anecdote made a reasonable point. I didn't mean to be inappropriate.

RG

Dave T

@davet

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Richard, perhaps we'll drop the price of subscriptions instead of raising them? What would you think about that?

And Dave, I'll take a look at your re-organization suggestions. I agree something needs to be done but I'm not making any promises to anyone at this time. If I do then I end up getting held to them and I don't desire that at this time.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I'm really happy for this thread!

I'm thrilled the Dave started off a new thread on forum restructuring, and would encourage us all to head on over there and start hammering a solid structure out:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18330

So let's go ahead and hammer something out, and we'll git'er done for ya.

Ryan

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Dropping subscription prices? In this day and age? There must be a BPL application pending for some TARP money, or maybe BPL's computer is taking a cut in pay. Whatever the reason, a reduction in subscription prices sounds great.

BPL keeps getting better and better! Perhaps there's even reason to hope for a return to BPL's "good old days" of free shipping for all orders. Or maybe a "postage credit" could be awarded for each day of good behavior in forums!

JRS

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools