was looking to switch to a tnf cats meow but if i could find a good down bag for around $150 i might do that
i looked at the kelty lightyear at my local sport chelet but the reviews
were not that great i camp in kings canyon calif and the bishop region and only do summer trips thru september
but temps vary from year to year
any suggestions??
by the way i am 6-2 and 220 lb and a fairly warm sleeper
thanks
divr6347
Topic
any descent budget down bags out there for $150
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
Always have the Campmor bag, it gets a lot of good press for a budget bag.
I have a BA Moon Hill. It is the 0 degree version of the Crater. This is pretty close to your budget, the right size (you'll want a long in Big Agnes based on my experience) and includes a pad. The Hinman pad is pretty hefty but warm. If you go with a BA Insulated Air Core, it is a pretty light combo and good quality to boot. You HAVE to go with some sort of BA mummy pad to get a good fit though, well, I haven't tried POE but know that the REI Litecore won't fit right.
They only have one. I think they have a Moon Hill (0 degrees) as well but it's more money. Check out the Big Agnes site as well as they sometimes have some good deals.
http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/780902
Was $249. Now $169. Through tomorrow it will be $135.94
20F, 30oz, stuff size 7.5×15”, long 6’6”, 750pf down
I ordered a Regular for a scout, but it has not come in yet.
I have owned Kelty light year bags (down and synthetic) and I think they are very well made. Just add 5F to the temp spec.
-Barry
Barry,
Why will it be cheaper tomorrow?
-D
Sorry. I didn't mean tomorrow. I meant through tomorrow.
From their website “You’ll automatically save an extra 20% on your entire REI-OUTLET order through January 29. No coupon needed!”
That was my sneaking suspicion. Thanks!
I think the REI Sub-Kilo might be a little tight for someone your size but if you want to try it- call around to the REI stores they might have one in a Long, they are $169.00 on sale and with the winter clearance sale that has been extended to Feb 2nd (I think) they will take another 50% off.
The Bag will cost you $84.91!!!!! Again that's $84.91!!!!!
This is the best deal out there by far, it is worth calling around to more than a few stores- the stores might even be able to check inventory of the other stores for you.
If it doesn't fit, just return it!
check prices on the big agnes horse thief, it wasnt too expensive when i got it.
i will check those out
right now i have a slumberjack latitude +20 synthetic and its not really a bad bag but a tad heavy for what i want
it works ok and i have had it in mid 30 s temps and stayed warm but just want something lighter with the same warmth
divr6347
My choice of a three-season sleeping bag is the Luxury Lite V Bag. It is a long, slim cut down bag with a center zipper instead of the more common side zipper. Mine weighs one pound, 14.2 ounces and I have measured the loft at four inches. $145.00
i got a chance to go to rei store in santa ana ca
on saturday and tried a few bags
the kelty light year 20 in regular was way too tight
i tried the long in same bag and it was still a little tight but would probably be ok other than the half zipper
it was difficult to get into it because i am so tall
the lost ranger was a good fit in regular but they didn t have a long i think the lr in long would work ok
ill try some more soon
divr6347
I got a couple of the LuxuryLIte bags when they had some factory 2nds of sale, and I've been really happy with it. Kept me cozy down to 30. I haven't used the one I opened and added down to yet.
I have a BA Moon Hill. It is the 0 degree version of the Crater. This is pretty close to your budget, the right size (you’ll want a long in Big Agnes based on my experience) and includes a pad. The Hinman pad is pretty hefty but warm. If you go with a BA Insulated Air Core, it is a pretty light combo and good quality to boot. You HAVE to go with some sort of BA mummy pad to get a good fit though, well, I haven’t tried POE but know that the REI Litecore won’t fit right.
They only have one. I think they have a Moon Hill (0 degrees) as well but it’s more money. Check out the Big Agnes site as well as they sometimes have some good deals.
Check out Gear Trade; I’ve seen at least one Moon Hill bag & pad combo on there before.
Mountain Equipment Co-op Raven -7*c / 20*f
$130-$144 Cdn, depending on size (small, reg, large). Also available in wide, ($153-$168 Cdn).
I have one and love it. Super warm, compressible, decent weight at 1500 grams. A bit heavy, but if you're in the mountains where the temps dip below freezing, even in summer, this is the bag to bring. Great value.
No direct experience with them myself, but at Joe's comment I went and looked at LuxuryLite's bags– $145 retail, looks like a decent bag and under two pounds.
They sure aren't a WM though. But I'm pretty happy so far. Lightweight and roomy. And the seconds were on for……….$39. I've learned a lot about sewing as I've filled some empty chambers.
Your bag is the most important piece of gear you carry. I'd mow all my neighbors laws to raise the extra cash if I had too to be able to sleep safe and secure. If there is no way you can afford good down bag I would suggest a synthetic. I have seen the cats meow by TNF as low as 125. It weighs just under three pounds but it is also highly water resistant so you may be able to leave the tarp home and sleep under a tree if it rains. One piece at a time and eventually you will have what you need. Then again you could write obama seems he is promising free stuff to everybody. Ali
I'm 6'2" 200 lbs and just spent my first 28 degree night in my Kelty Lightyear 25 long. It did just fine.
There's much more room in this bag than most mummy bags.
It's on sale for $109 at http://www.moontrail.com
how about the north face crysalis
anybody tried it it checks in at 2lb 12 oz which is a pound lighter than my latitude
it seems to get good reviews for a 15 deg down bag and rei
outlet has them for $129 im thinking that may suit my needs but would like to know more about it if i could
thanks for any info
divr6347
I really like the center zip over the chest location of my LuxuryLite V Bag. It has a full-length center zip and as a side sleeper I don’t ever want to go back to a side zipper. Here is what Nunatak says about their $400 center zip Alpinist bag.
“First we moved the zipper from the side to a center front location. This gives you full use of both arms while still having head and back in the sleeping bag, a must when performing camp tasks in less than ideal conditions. The center zip also gives you more effective torso ventilation. Sleeping on your sides is also more comfortable since a zipper on your shoulder sucks.”
And a full-length center zipper puts the hood in a better spot when I use the V Bag as a quilt. It is a slim cut bag and I like using it as a sleeping quilt.
I have found lighter weight down sleeping quilts such as Nunatak and Jacks R Better, but usually not as cheap as the V Bag. And I like having a back up zipper for those cold nights when I chicken out.
I thought enough of this bag to do a reader review of it. Bruce Warren was quite surprised, we don’t know each other, it was my first purchase from Luxury Lite, and he had no idea I was doing a review. I detailed what I liked and a couple of things I didn’t like about the bag-mainly the non-locking zipper. Here is how he responded to the review:
“It is my opinion that a customer can write whatever he wants to about my gear. I have no right to censor anything… as long as they are not outright factual errors.”
Now, I can deal with that.
Become a member to post in the forums.

