Topic

Temperature Logging Device

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Steven Evans BPL Member
PostedJan 27, 2009 at 7:55 pm

What is my lightest option for logging temperature at intervals? Maybe every hour or so…I don't mind if it has other features such as altimeter, compass, etc. but they are not required. I saw the High Gear Altitech and like how it can clip to your pack instead of wearing on your wrist – but maybe there is something lighter?
Thanks!

Steven Evans BPL Member
PostedJan 27, 2009 at 8:25 pm

Thanks Mike, very cool, definitely an option :), most likely the lightest. I sent an e-mail to inquire.

How about something I could read while in the outback? The thermochron requires the info to be downloaded…which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just want to look into all my options.

John S. BPL Member
PostedJan 28, 2009 at 6:30 am

Doesn't the ADC Summit also log data such as temperature readings?

There may be third party devices that will read the thermochron data in the field, or there used to be.

Barry P BPL Member
PostedJan 28, 2009 at 8:25 am

This looks interesting.

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?SKU=5720080&MPN=EL-USB-2-LCD&R=5720080&SEARCH=5720080&DESC=EL-USB-2-LCD

full list of products here: http://www.alliedelec.com/images/products/mkt/lp/0901/lascar.aspx

From Lascar Electronics; LCD display of temp/humidity.
Data download through USB
I couldn’t find the weight. Since it plugs directly into the USB port, I’m guessing 3x the weight of a USB memory stick; maybe 30g.

It’s not your lightest option once you put the Display request in.

-Barry

Steven Killion BPL Member
PostedJan 28, 2009 at 10:36 am

Steven,

I agree with Michael regarding the Thermocron ibutton. It weighs 2 grams on my kitchen scale including the fob (more accurate weight is available on their website). Set the parameters for data logging prior to your hike via the USB dongle and export data to a text file for post hike analysis. I keep the text file in the folder with photos from each hike for reference. It is easy to use the time stamp on the photo to correlate with the time stamp for each temperature reading.thermochron-ibutton.jpgibutton data fileibutton data file cont.

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedJan 28, 2009 at 4:08 pm

As Mike said: Thermocron.
Also Hydrochron, for combined temp and RH. You can plot out the temperature and Rh with Excel.

KossieSep08Temps.jpg
Ski Touring, Kosciusko NP, Sep 2008

Cheers

Steven Evans BPL Member
PostedJan 28, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Great info, thanks guys. I can deal with 2 grams :)

Steve K, where did you get your setup from? How about price?

It looks much simpler then the one I inquired about.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Loading...